Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XWayland 21.1.3 Released With Support For NVIDIA's 495 Driver GBM

Phoronix: XWayland 21.1.3 Released With Support For NVIDIA's 495 Driver GBM

While just a point release, XWayland 21.1.3 that is out this morning is exciting in that it adds support for using NVIDIA's new proprietary driver that supports the GBM API for enhancing its Wayland support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now the problem is when ubuntu et similia will upgrade to this release.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
      Now the problem is when ubuntu et similia will upgrade to this release.
      Probably next year, as Ubuntu developers developers don't care at all about gaming and having good out of the box support for it.
      Maybe Canonical being in bed with Microsoft has something to do with this.
      I hope somebody will make one day a Good Debian + KDE Plasma distro to be able to ditch for good Ubuntu based distros.
      I'm tired of this shitty gaming support from Canonical.

Comment

I hope that with all those recent patches, developers now start to make their programs to use wayland by default (on wayland sessions). It's still a PITA to always have to check if a new program is using native wayland by default or xwayland (even if the program has support for both), not counting people running programs through xwayland and thinking they're using native.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Probably next year, as Ubuntu developers developers don't care at all about gaming and having good out of the box support for it.
          Maybe Canonical being in bed with Microsoft has something to do with this.
          This doesn't really have to do with gaming though. Some of the patches included in this are required for XWayland applications not to launch invisible on Nvidia's GBM drivers.

Comment

So... what is left for proper wayland support on NVidia?

Comment

Originally posted by tehehe View Post
              Dozens of features and fixes. Someone will try to derail and say it'd be similar with AMD & Intel, but it's most definitely not.

Comment

I've installed Fedora 35 and I can see the following in: /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/61-gdm.rules
                Code:
                # disable Wayland on Hi1710 chipsets
                ATTR{vendor}=="0x19e5", ATTR{device}=="0x1711", RUN+="/usr/libexec/gdm-runtime-config set daemon WaylandEnable false"
                # disable Wayland on hybrid systems with vendor nvidia driver
                # default to Xorg on single gpu vendor nvidia systems
                DRIVER=="nvidia", ENV{GDM_HAS_VENDOR_NVIDIA_DRIVER}="1"
                DRIVER=="nvidia", RUN+="/usr/libexec/gdm-runtime-config set daemon PreferredDisplayServer xorg"
                SUBSYSTEM=="drm", KERNEL=="card[1-9]*", ENV{GDM_HAS_NVIDIA_DRIVER}=="1", RUN+="/usr/libexec/gdm-runtime-config set daemon WaylandEnable false"
                ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="module", KERNEL=="nvidia_drm", ATTR{parameters/modeset}=="N", RUN+="/usr/libexec/gdm-runtime-config set daemon WaylandEnable false"
                # disable Wayland if modesetting is disabled
                IMPORT{cmdline}="nomodeset", RUN+="/usr/libexec/gdm-runtime-config set daemon WaylandEnable false"
                It still sets xorg as the preferred display server even if you have a single nvidia GPU.
                Furthermore if you have a laptop that has both intel and nvidia (intel being card0 and nvidia being something higher), then it will explicitly disable wayland.

Now I've tried to comment out these lines on my desktop with a single nvidia GPU and Gnome on wayland seems to be working using the nvidia gbm driver.
                No issues with steam running games on xwayland, so I guess the "PreferredDisplayServer xorg" could be removed soon (at least for single nvidia GPU users).

However on my laptop with hybrid intel + nvidia, my external monitor which is connected using HDMI doesn't work any longer when using wayland on nvidia gbm.
                So I guess they disabled it for hybrid setups for a valid reason.

Comment

I'm super disappointed with NVIDIA.
                  I believed that once 495 is out, everything will work. I'm on archlinux, everything is up to date.
                  I've tried both KDE and GNOME. None of them was working.

Clicking in the start menu with KDE resulted in mega freeze, everything takes at least a whole year to react.

Gnome is the same, everything is slow as hell.

And now even Firefox freeze, signal freezes and a few electron apps as well eg. slack; and very likely all because of NVIDIA and its fucking piece of shit driver implementation.

Comment

Testing.
                    Originally posted by babali View Post
                    I'm super disappointed with NVIDIA.
                    I believed that once 495 is out, everything will work. I'm on archlinux, everything is up to date.
                    I've tried both KDE and GNOME. None of them was working.

Clicking in the start menu with KDE resulted in mega freeze, everything takes at least a whole year to react.

Gnome is the same, everything is slow as hell.

And now even Firefox freeze, signal freezes and a few electron apps as well eg. slack; and very likely all because of NVIDIA and its fucking piece of shit driver implementation.
                    I have the same experience. Wayland was usable once 5.23 landed, but became super-unresponsive once we got 495. I'm logging back into X until the proper fixes land. Also, super-disappointed by scaling under Wayland, X looks miles better (but, of course, won't scale monitors independently).

Comment

Working...
                    X