X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Originally posted by mangeek View Post

I'm using whatever xwayland shipped in Ubuntu 21.10, and NVIDIA 495.44. Not sure if there's additional config I need to do for GBM, it shows that it's running on NVIDIA when I 'run with discrete graphics' though. I used to not get a picture, now I get weird tearing in gameplay.
    Well, i am not using Ubuntu, but the xwayland version which supports NVIDIA GBM is not released yet so i doubt they include it. Perhaps you may need to use a ppa.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Wayland requires EGL, so this affects everyone equally no matter what driver you use. The NVidia EGLStreams and GBM implementations both run with EGL.
    No it pays to follow the code base of this change. The time frame when Xwayland did not support Eglstreams and only had GBM support had code like what this patch has put in. Yes that code was removed when eglstream support was added. Little issue of eglstreams global state instead of per processes state.

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Alternatives to EGL are GLX (which only runs with X) and WGL (which only runs on Windows).
    This is close to currect. There is a few other platform that does have GLX that is not X11 like directfb in a old incomplete form of GLX on direct framebuffer. Yes this was done before EGL existed and is basically the prototype from hell that leads to EGL.

Page 40.
    EGL version 1.0, approved on July 23, 2003, is the original version of EGL. EGLwas loosely based on GLX 1.3, generalized to be implementable on many differ-ent operating systems and window systems and simplified to reflect the needs ofembedded devices running OpenGL ES
    See it mentions loosely based on GLX 1.3. Yes before 2003 there were quite a few wacky attempts like directfb one to use GLX without X11.

GLX is not really alternative to EGL. GLX and EGL are basically the same thing at different points in history.

Something people miss is the last version of GLX is 1.4 December 16, 2005 yet EGL has had more development 1.5 March 19, 2014.

We are starting to see applications like firefox and so on with X11 applications migrate off of using GLX.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Also mentioned by Eric is "GLX is pretty much deprecated at this point." Intel is encouraging developers to use EGL rather than GLX. EGL is needed anyways for Wayland, Android, OS X, etc and the Mesa EGL support has matured quite well and still works fine with an X.Org Server. Eric said, "Please please please stop using GLX. There shouldn't be anything left that GLX has that EGL doesn't."
    Do note that is 2012. Reality if you are making a new program for X11 today you should not use GLX because GLX is the legacy deprecated interface. You could think of this like SSL and TLS two names for basically the same thing with one deprecated that is what EGL and GLX is with GLX being the deprectated .

Leave a comment:

• mangeek
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Are you using GBM? You need the latest NVIDIA driver plus the upcoming version of xwayland that supports it.
    I'm using whatever xwayland shipped in Ubuntu 21.10, and NVIDIA 495.44. Not sure if there's additional config I need to do for GBM, it shows that it's running on NVIDIA when I 'run with discrete graphics' though. I used to not get a picture, now I get weird tearing in gameplay.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by obri View Post
    Perhaps a dumb question, but does this:

mean, only EGL is going to be benefitted?
    I mean, AFAIK just Nvidia was on the EGL streams train and is going the GBM route now. Or does this have nothing to do with each other?
    Wayland requires EGL, so this affects everyone equally no matter what driver you use. The NVidia EGLStreams and GBM implementations both run with EGL.

Alternatives to EGL are GLX (which only runs with X) and WGL (which only runs on Windows).

Leave a comment:

• Myownfriend
    replied
    Originally posted by wolfyrion View Post
    When wayland will be able to support multiple monitors I maybe switch....
    Atm you cant set your main monitor as a primary
    It already does.

Originally posted by kozman View Post
    Does make you wonder how many other tiny little handicaps are lurking about in the X codebase. Are there things which exist that can audit the code to find these little nuggets or is it just dumb luck that it was found?
    It's worth noting that this change only effects XWayland not Xserver as a whole. The change was to "xwayland-glamor.c".
    Last edited by Myownfriend; 04 November 2021, 07:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Originally posted by mangeek View Post
    Minecraft on the latest Ubuntu with Nvidia proprietary drivers (PRIME & xwayland?) is still a bit of a slideshow compared to my modest Intel iGPU.
    Are you using GBM? You need the latest NVIDIA driver plus the upcoming version of xwayland that supports it.

Leave a comment:

• mangeek
    replied
    Minecraft on the latest Ubuntu with Nvidia proprietary drivers (PRIME & xwayland?) is still a bit of a slideshow compared to my modest Intel iGPU.

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Originally posted by MastaG View Post
    As a long time Fedora/Gnome user I think there is still a long way to go on the mutter/clutter/whatever core of Gnome to get games running smooth, be it on Xorg or (X)Wayland.

When I look at my CPU usage, mutter is still too demanding.

Also I have a feeling it still gets in the way even if you set your game to use exclusive Fullscreen made.
    Strange, this is not my experience at all. What kind of hardware are you using?

Leave a comment:

• mether
    replied
    Originally posted by MastaG View Post

Also I have a feeling it still gets in the way even if you set your game to use exclusive Fullscreen made.
    That shouldn't be the case for a couple of years atleast . Refer to https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte...e_requests/798 If you find otherwise, file a bug report

Leave a comment:

• MastaG
    replied
    As a long time Fedora/Gnome user I think there is still a long way to go on the mutter/clutter/whatever core of Gnome to get games running smooth, be it on Xorg or (X)Wayland.

When I look at my CPU usage, mutter is still too demanding.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X