Canonical Announces Ubuntu Frame As A Full-Screen Shell Built On Mir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

Maybe you already can install it on a laptop? Why wouldn't you be able to?
    Well, I didn't say we can't.
    But from my experience, it's a lot of tinkering and hacking to get something dirty (rather than clean) working on the kiosk mode front.
    I managed a Spotify session with no window decorations and probably easy access to the rest for nerds "in the known" (not sandboxed).
    So yeah, I'm still all ears for an easy and clean way of achieving this.
    And this sounds promising if extended to good old laptops/desktops.

Originally posted by AlanGriffiths View Post

That isn't available "out of the box" because Ubuntu Frame has no way to launch your Spotify/Youtube/whatever-only session. (It would be easy to launch both from a script though - and run that on login.)
    I'm all ears as mentioned, is there some tutorial for such a script? I'm not an IT-curious person, I can manage with some pointers but I can't script from scratch.

Originally posted by guildem View Post

Why don't you use cage for that use case ?

https://github.com/Hjdskes/cage
    I might need to check that one out. It's been a while since I've tried to update my half-baked half-working kiosk mode. And this project seems rather recent.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
      Would be cool if it wasn't just limited to "embedded displays, IoT, and related use-cases" but could be installed on a few clicks on a laptop/desktop and allow for a kiosk mode login from /G/K/LightDM.
      I would love to have a Spotify/Youtube/whatever-only session for when you throw a party or dinner.
      Guests could change the music at their will while not having any access to other parts of your computer while you're passed out drunk somewhere else (not me).
      Not me either, but I imagine could be useful for some. No, really, not me Cough, cough...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        What is the benefit of this over a Weston shell?
        The benefit is that it is not Wayland, and by extension actually works and doesn't pop up windows in random places on the screen to "call out" developers for the "sin" of wanting to control window position. Wayland has a minority share of the Linux desktop market, which has 1.5% of the total desktop market, and yet despite the fact that less than 1 out of ever 200 computer users choose to subject themselves to Wayland, Wayland's developers think they should be in charge of the "rules" for writing desktop applications.

Comment

Originally posted by spanky View Post

The benefit is that it is not Wayland, and by extension actually works and doesn't pop up windows in random places on the screen to "call out" developers for the "sin" of wanting to control window position. Wayland has a minority share of the Linux desktop market, which has 1.5% of the total desktop market, and yet despite the fact that less than 1 out of ever 200 computer users choose to subject themselves to Wayland, Wayland's developers think they should be in charge of the "rules" for writing desktop applications.
          When will you realize Mir is now a Wayland implementation? Mir is like Weston and Wayland is just a protocol.

Comment

Originally posted by spanky View Post

Beware, the developers behind wayland are the same group of people behind x server.

Comment

I managed a Spotify session with no window decorations and probably easy access to the rest for nerds "in the known" (not sandboxed).
              So yeah, I'm still all ears for an easy and clean way of achieving this.
              You can't expect a window manager to run regular programs, and get a kiosk. You most likely will need a kiosk program for isolation/sandboxing, and a tweaked youtube/spotify whatever client as well.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                What is the benefit of this over a Weston shell?
                Option #1: It actually works, for a useful definition of "works". Weston, judging by its zero adoption rate doesn't. Whether that's because it's broken or "only" lacks basic functionality, I couldn't tell you - but it seems it's not adequate for even something this trivial.

Option #2: Because the clients are already written to use Mir, and thus will have been working properly for 8+ years already, and can migrate from X to Wayland with no more effort than a recompile.

Take your pick. My guess is it's mostly #2, but given how useless Weston apparently is #1 could be a bigger factor than I'm recognizing.

Comment

Originally posted by ivan.cwb View Post
                  There is a kioski mode for gnome now (although I don't know about its status for mainstream distros):
                  https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/using...ge-deployments
                  Package available on Fedora as gnome-kiosk

Comment

is there some tutorial for such a script? I'm not an IT-curious person, I can manage with some pointers but I can't script from scratch..
                    The basics are covered in the datasheet

Comment

Originally posted by AlanGriffiths View Post

The basics are covered in the datasheet
                      Thanks for the information and the time.
                      I will look into all the suggestions and pointers made above (yours in number 1) at some point.
                      There are many use cases for a kiosk mode and this is an interesting topic (probably a growing segment too).

Comment

Working...
                      X