Canonical Announces Ubuntu Frame As A Full-Screen Shell Built On Mir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Announces Ubuntu Frame As A Full-Screen Shell Built On Mir

Phoronix: Canonical Announces Ubuntu Frame As A Full-Screen Shell Built On Mir

Canonical today announced the launch of Ubuntu Frame, its full-screen shell built atop the Wayland-embracing Mir server for embedded displays, IoT, and related use-cases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What is the benefit of this over a Weston shell?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      What is the benefit of this over a Weston shell?
      It's got electrolytes

Comment

Would be cool if it wasn't just limited to "embedded displays, IoT, and related use-cases" but could be installed on a few clicks on a laptop/desktop and allow for a kiosk mode login from /G/K/LightDM.
        I would love to have a Spotify/Youtube/whatever-only session for when you throw a party or dinner.
        Guests could change the music at their will while not having any access to other parts of your computer while you're passed out drunk somewhere else (not me).

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
          Would be cool if it wasn't just limited to "embedded displays, IoT, and related use-cases" but could be installed on a few clicks on a laptop/desktop and allow for a kiosk mode login from /G/K/LightDM.
          I would love to have a Spotify/Youtube/whatever-only session for when you throw a party or dinner.
          Guests could change the music at their will while not having any access to other parts of your computer while you're passed out drunk somewhere else (not me).
          Not you of course Mez

Comment

There is a kioski mode for gnome now (although I don't know about its status for mainstream distros):
            Less is more. This is often the perspective behind requests we see that involve the words “light weight." I’ve come to loosely translate this to mean, “install and/or run only the applications I care about with no fluff.” The motivation can be any number of problems around decreasing the installed footprint for security purposes, maximizing system resources, or perceived stability improvements from using less software (less to go wrong). 

Comment

Does KDM still exist?! o-o

Comment

Maybe you already can install it on a laptop? Why wouldn't you be able to?

Comment

That isn't available "out of the box" because Ubuntu Frame has no way to launch your Spotify/Youtube/whatever-only session. (It would be easy to launch both from a script though - and run that on login.)

Comment

Why don't you use cage for that use case ?

A Wayland kiosk. Contribute to cage-kiosk/cage development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Working...
                    X