No announcement yet.

KWinFT Continues Working On WLROOTS Render, Library Split

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the real world differences between KWin and KWinFT for the end user?

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Uh you sure? Its a wlroots issue and the github issue is talking about wayland?

I am running KWinFT right now and experience no such issues.
      Last time I tried it was last weekend. So it might be fixed by now. While the bug reporter used Wayland, it was an OpenGL fullscreen issue which could have affected both Wayland and X11. I have seen problems at that time with KwinFT-git which also uses wlroots-git, my problem might be related or unrelated to that issue though, I am not sure about the root cause. But the screenshot tells you that something was severly broken at that time and it happened solely while using KwinFT and its dependencies.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
        Couldn't find much explicitly stated about that but it seems like the idea is that kwinft is supposed to be written according to modern coding standards, it's supposed to be more efficient, faster, and all around just better.

Also about trying ti. it 'just works' but the compositor crashes sometimes

Comment

Meanwhile Phoronix Continues To Spell wlroots "WLROOTS" For Some Weird Reason

Comment

Originally posted by dos1 View Post
            Meanwhile Phronix Continues To Spell wlroots "WLROOTS" For Some Weird Reason
            Well, wlroots isn't correct either since for names it is required to capitalize the first letter. So is it Wlroots, then?

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post

Well, wlroots isn't correct either since for names it is required to capitalize the first letter. So is it Wlroots, then?
              Actually, that would be capitalize the first letter and not capitalize the rest. So it's either "Kwinft" and "Wlroots", or you accept stylized capitalization and go with "KWinFT" and "wlroots".

So, when you write a name of a popular Apple phone, how do you do it: IPhone? Iphone?

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
                There is so much code churn in KWInFT to refracter and replace KWin's code that I doubt most end users would want to use KWInFT presently. The difference in end goals is KWinFT wants to be a desktop agnostic window server with Wayland in mind while depending more on standard C++ versus Qt classes. Theoretically, KWinFT could be the more stable one in the future due to the current code churn. Meanwhile KWin is still chipping away at its current Wayland issues, as the KWin devs are doing a fantastic job as always.

Comment

Originally posted by dos1 View Post

Actually, that would be capitalize the first letter and not capitalize the rest. So it's either "Kwinft" and "Wlroots", or you accept stylized capitalization and go with "KWinFT" and "wlroots".
                  It's actually Kwin FT since the author is stylizing the name by joining a word with an acronym whilst linguistic rules say that they must be separated... or K Win FT if you want to stick to the invalid pronunciation that the KDE folks probably use.

Anyway, names like iPhone and KWin are so ubiquitous now that even professional grammarologists (???) are tolerating them. Slippery slope.
                  Last edited by curfew; 19 September 2021, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
                    It's actually Kwin FT since the author is stylizing the name by joining a word with an acronym whilst linguistic rules say that they must be separated... or K Win FT if you want to stick to the invalid pronunciation that the KDE folks probably use.

Anyway, names like iPhone and KWin are so ubiquitous now that even professional grammarologists (???) are tolerating them. Slippery slope.
                    Grammarian.

I speak English, of the British variety, which, funnily enough, is ACTUAL English. All these zed's replacing s's is nothing more than the US accent forcing a respelling based on phonetics, rather than simply accepting its older form. Same goes with other bits like dropping U's, hich then goes and changes the pronunciation; colour to color <= Looks to me like I should say ko-law.

Now don't mind me, I'm off to the shoppe for a lemonade!
                    Hi

Comment

Working...
                    X