Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KWinFT Continues Working On WLROOTS Render, Library Split

Phoronix: KWinFT Continues Working On WLROOTS Render, Library Split

KWinFT as a fork of KDE's KWin X11/Wayland compositor code continues making progress on driving fundamental display improvements and ironing out the Wayland support...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...OOTS-Continues

Guys like Roman Gilg are the type of people that goes in-line with the philosophy of open source, in my opinion. This person takes his ambition and own time to build a starter pack for those that wanted to bring their own solutions. And all that in a structured manner, obviously he is not doing it alone (thus enforcing the principle of open source).
    I said it before, but yeah. Good luck on the endeavor because I sure will root for ya (and everyone involved).

Comment

Hopefully they succeed at getting wlroots in because I believe that will unlock display gamma and similar controls so I can then use Wayland. (I won't use it without monitor display controls, my monitor has very little OSD options)

Comment

I like the idea of separating the code into libraries. It's promising as a compositor framework that can be used to build more desktops and maybe speed up the adoption. Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
          Guys like Roman Gilg are the type of people that goes in-line with the philosophy of open source, in my opinion. This person takes his ambition and own time to build a starter pack for those that wanted to bring their own solutions. And all that in a structured manner, obviously he is not doing it alone (thus enforcing the principle of open source).
          I said it before, but yeah. Good luck on the endeavor because I sure will root for ya (and everyone involved).
          Cannot agree more, I really commend the efforts that Roman is doing with KWinFT. I am using KWInFT and while its mainly with Xorg/X11 I switch every release to Wayland to see the progress, I think that with a bit more work it will deliver a very polished experience and more importantly be much easier to maintain.

Comment

I really like Roman's work, too. Just beware with the latest wlroots-git, I saw massive problems: https://github.com/swaywm/wlroots/issues/3185

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
              I really like Roman's work, too. Just beware with the latest wlroots-git, I saw massive problems: https://github.com/swaywm/wlroots/issues/3185
              Thanks for the heads up, this is one of the (out of many) reasons why I haven't defaulted to Wayland yet.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Thanks for the heads up, this is one of the (out of many) reasons why I haven't defaulted to Wayland yet.
                It showed up while being on X11 though.

But if the devs fix this problem and no other show-stoppers appear on the horizon, I can highly recommend to try it out.

Comment

Got curious and installed it, seems to just work, possibly more responsive/smoother than the original KWin although I can't be sure if it's just placebo or something (there's just something that tells me it is, even if I wasn't actually expecting to notice any difference).

drop-in replacement indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

It showed up while being on X11 though.

But if the devs fix this problem and no other show-stoppers appear on the horizon, I can highly recommend to try it out.
                    Uh you sure? Its a wlroots issue and the github issue is talking about wayland?

I am running KWinFT right now and experience no such issues.

Comment

Working...
                    X