Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE's Plasma Wayland Session Is "Finally Reaching Stability" Following Many Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Termy View Post

hm, will have to try that some time then - that was the biggest annoyance left i noticed when i last did a (short) testdrive ^^
    if its still a problem when you try it checkout QMPlay2 in wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by callegar View Post
      The list at https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Wayland_Showstoppers does not seem to shrink proportionally to the rate of "finally reaching stability" posts... Is it up to date?
      Specifically, is there any news about the issues due to lack of support in protocols (e.g., "Session restoring does not include Wayland native windows"). Lack of session restore is particularly bad on those platforms not supporting suspend to ram (think rpi4).
      It doesn't seem to be shrinking because I keep adding things to it. But you should notice that the class if items listed there becomes less severe over time. We have a lot less of "X doesn't work at all" type of issues and a lot more issues like "subtle interaction X with component Y under condition Z produces weird behavior that is annoying, but possible to work around".

Comment

ngraham
        Can this be fixed/worked on 5.24 ?
        Can you say something about this ?

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
          Have they fixed the screen selection issue with krunner and full-screen apps? If no, then Plasma Wayland is still not ready for production in multiscreen environments.
          THIS! For the love of god idk if we’re the only 2 weird people that for some reason have their “1” monitor on the right or what, but I cannot get krunner or full screen apps (or even Vivaldi for that matter) to open on my right (both position and correct) monitor.

it’s the biggest annoyance for Plasma Wayland for me, along with a few other paper cuts.

Comment

Originally posted by tgurr View Post
            And another showstopper for me is that colord/icc profiles aren't supported on wayland yet
            Gnome Wayland has support for color profiles. This would need a KDE bug report.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
              Is anyone using KDE Wayland with proprietary NVIDIA drivers? Does this work?
              No, Wayland won't work well on Nvidia drivers (as in as well as on everything else) until DEs enable the Nvidia GBM backend.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
                I've been Wayland exclusive sincr Plasma 5.21 and it works fine by itself. I have a few annoyances with Firefox because its Wayland suppport needs more work, but KDE itself is doing pretty well and more fixes/features are welcome.
                Firefox on Gnome/Wayland works flawlessly both the native and flatpak version.
                What exactly is the issue?

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
                  Gnome Wayland has support for color profiles. This would need a KDE bug report.
                  It's already very well known:
                  The aim of the color management extension is to allow clients to know the color properties of outputs, and to tell the compositor about the color properties of...

One of the things that had been discussed during a kwin sprint in July 2019 was color management. Currently, we have a component called Night Color which is...

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

Firefox on Gnome/Wayland works flawlessly both the native and flatpak version.
                    What exactly is the issue?
                    Tab tearing does not work properly under KDE (not sure about GNOME). Also, related to the tab tearing not working right, it is possible to get into a situation where the clipboard in Firefox refuses to work with the system clipboard so copy & paste breaks. It works locally within Firefox, but not between Firefox & any other program.

Comment

Tab tearing is fine on Gnome/Firefox. Also, the clipboard is mostly fine (internally and externally). The only hickkup that is currently there is that if you use the file opener, e.g. to load an email attachment, you cannot copy in the path..

Comment

Working...
                      X