Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE's Plasma Wayland Session Is "Finally Reaching Stability" Following Many Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hit me up when Plasma Wayland works on Intel. It's still not working over here on my Intel-only hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
      Yay sounds good.
      I had planned to switch to plasma wayland (from xfce) tomorrow anyway.

Maybe i wait a few more days until this hits arch repos
      …or you activate the KDE Unstable repo: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Off...s#kde-unstable

Comment

Originally posted by xzhao View Post
        For me still unusable until this bug is fixed: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=420160
        Yea I suffer this bug too, anyway, im using wayland, but sometimes I have to restart due to this bug.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
          Hit me up when Plasma Wayland works on Intel. It's still not working over here on my Intel-only hardware.
          I have two pcs. One with an amd ryzen vega 11 graphics and other with intel cpu+gpu. Both work the same more or less. I don't have problems on Intel with Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
            The one i need to see fixed is the inability of KDE to cope with freesync when gaming if there are multiple screens...

i.e. apparently freesync doesn't work if you are gaming on one screen but kde is also managing a second screen.
            It works fine now!

Thats on Manjaro with AMD , plasma 5.22.4

Comment

I have been hearing this same bullshit for 12-18 months now and I presume that I will keep hearing it even after today.

Comment

It began really usable 2 releases ago. Hopefully they're focusing on Wayland instead of X11.

Comment

Originally posted by binarybanana View Post
                  Wow, even Qt lost the ability to do proper fractional scaling on Wayland! I know GTK never supported it, but that's a major regression. Apparently you can't even do the DPI pint-size trick any more on Wayland? According to a visually impaired user.
                  The DPI point-size trick in fact breaks a lot of applications as well. Really how to properly scale applications has not been a solved problem. We do really need to solve it finally. Remember the fun that application can use absolute positions based on a particular font size render. Fun issue here how to upscale the application while keeping font quality up without running over absolute positions. This is really going to take a toolkit change and has always need a toolkit change.

There is a fun little problem with DPI is that it measures vertical height of the font. The width spacing of the font can increase at a greater rate than the height.

Comment

Excellent news. But I'm disappointed that the usual suspects haven't checked in yet to whine and promote their zillions of suckless "alternatives" that are minimalist, light, written in plain C, portable to Xenix 1.0, are not bloated with such nonsense as actual GUI-based configuration, localisation, accessibility, HiDPI, color profiles or working session management and, as a fundamental feature, don't support systemd and udev to remain free from Poettering's NSA backdoor (as a side effect, it means that your keyboard and mouse don't work out of the box, but who needs that anyway).

Comment

The list at https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Wayland_Showstoppers does not seem to shrink proportionally to the rate of "finally reaching stability" posts... Is it up to date?
                      Specifically, is there any news about the issues due to lack of support in protocols (e.g., "Session restoring does not include Wayland native windows"). Lack of session restore is particularly bad on those platforms not supporting suspend to ram (think rpi4).

Comment

Working...
                      X