Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE's Plasma Wayland Session Is "Finally Reaching Stability" Following Many Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
    Is anyone using KDE Wayland with proprietary NVIDIA drivers? Does this work?
    It kind of works, yes: Compositing performance seems to be fine and Firefox Wayland is mostly smooth. mpv Wayland unfortunately only gives me a black screen with Nvidia and XWayland acceleration doesn't seem to work for EGL windows. Going to search/file a bug report for the mpv issue, though my motivation to even boot Linux with Nvidia is not that great (it suuuucks...)...

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
      Yay sounds good.
      I had planned to switch to plasma wayland (from xfce) tomorrow anyway.

Maybe i wait a few more days until this hits arch repos
      Based on personal experience between every Plasma version since 5.14, depending on what programs you use you'll likely end up on Plasma X11. The desktop itself is fine, but all the little niggling issues with 3rd party stuff like games, Firefox, video players, etc might annoy you enough to not stick with Wayland. Copy/paste was a big one for me so I might be able to tough it out now. We'll see.

Comment

Have they fixed the screen selection issue with krunner and full-screen apps? If no, then Plasma Wayland is still not ready for production in multiscreen environments.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
          Is anyone using KDE Wayland with proprietary NVIDIA drivers? Does this work?
          I have pretty much the same experience like aufkrawall stated and additionally while itself Steam runs fine for me no game using XWayland does, I can hear the sound so the game actually seems to run fine but I only get a black screen no matter if the games are native ones or via Proton. Something along the line has been reported already, but no response: https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/...-screen/183776

Also not related to NVIDIA: TeamViewer doesn't work at all on wayland yet.

And another showstopper for me is that colord/icc profiles aren't supported on wayland yet

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
            Yay sounds good.
            I had planned to switch to plasma wayland (from xfce) tomorrow anyway.

Maybe i wait a few more days until this hits arch repos
            If your comment was in reference to this:
            "Not being able to copy/paste between native and Xwayland apps was a major show stopper IMO. Great to see it fixed!"

I had got the impression that this was a 5.23.x feature - due in october, rather than a fix that arrived in 5.22.5 last week...

Comment

The one i need to see fixed is the inability of KDE to cope with freesync when gaming if there are multiple screens...

i.e. apparently freesync doesn't work if you are gaming on one screen but kde is also managing a second screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Elendig View Post
                Still broken with dual-screen. Loses window/panel position etc after screen blank, suspend etc :/
                Indeed, it's a known bug we are going to look into soon. A huge constellation of issues are inter-related and we are coming to understand the root causes. Basically plasmashell identifies displays by a fragile identifier (the physical connector used) which can be volatile due to other bugs elsewhere in the stack. It's not *quite* as simple as "identify displays by serial number" but doing so may help a lot. Other improvements are planned too. Hopefully this work will make it into Plasma 5.24.
                Last edited by ngraham; 04 September 2021, 10:43 AM.

Comment

For me still unusable until this bug is fixed: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=420160

Comment

Hopefully they will be able to improve Wayland's fractional scaling: https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comment..._be_sort_of_a/
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                      Hopefully they will be able to improve Wayland's fractional scaling: https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comment..._be_sort_of_a/
                      Wow, even Qt lost the ability to do proper fractional scaling on Wayland! I know GTK never supported it, but that's a major regression. Apparently you can't even do the DPI font-size trick any more on Wayland? According to a visually impaired user.

What a disaster. And Wayland shills have the nerve to claim Wayland "fixes" fractional scaling when it's strictly worse!
                      Last edited by binarybanana; 06 September 2021, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X