Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE's Plasma Wayland Session Is "Finally Reaching Stability" Following Many Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mppix View Post
    No, Wayland won't work well on Nvidia drivers (as in as well as on everything else) until DEs enable the Nvidia GBM backend.
    This will be no. Nvidia has patched the mesa libgbm so that their GBM can be used. DE don't have to special enable Nvidia GBM just it has to work right.

Please note sway code base had no modifications to support Nvidia GBM/KMS of course its simple because sway did not have eglstreams implemented. So the fun part will be removing/disabling the eglstreams stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

This will be no. Nvidia has patched the mesa libgbm so that their GBM can be used. DE don't have to special enable Nvidia GBM just it has to work right.

Please note sway code base had no modifications to support Nvidia GBM/KMS of course its simple because sway did not have eglstreams implemented. So the fun part will be removing/disabling the eglstreams stuff.
      True - point well taken and thanks for pointing this out.
      I guess it would have been better to say that the necessary MESA version + GBM backend is needed. This may be the case now but I did not follow this for a while because I run my DE off the iGPU and use Nvidia only for CUDA.
      Minor point is also that some DE's still disable Wayland if the Nvidia driver is installed.

I'm looking forward to the commentary here when folks start dropping EGLstreams.
      Last edited by mppix; 08 September 2021, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X