Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRM Lease Protocol Support Merged For Wayland For VR Headsets

Phoronix: DRM Lease Protocol Support Merged For Wayland For VR Headsets

The months-long effort for adding DRM lease support to Wayland via a new protocol has now been merged into Wayland Protocols as a new staging addition. The "drm_lease_v1" is principally motivated for improving the virtual reality head-mounted dispkay support under Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I know that Weston is just a demo compositor and not intended for real use, but it's pretty shitty. Windows and dialogs gets weird placement, not all applications works, you have to run some applications via the "dbus-launch" command.

GNOME Shell is much better!

I use Wayland with GNOME and it is good overall, but Firefox still defaults to XWayland even though it does have Wayland support. Also the Wayland support in Firefox nightly is much better than in stable Firefox.

Electron still does not support Wayland, so Atom, Chromium, Chrome, Edge, Skype, VS Code, etc all run via XWayland, not natively.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I know that Weston is just a demo compositor and not intended for real use, but it's pretty shitty. Windows and dialogs gets weird placement, not all applications works, you have to run some applications via the "dbus-launch" command.

GNOME Shell is much better!

I use Wayland with GNOME and it is good overall, but Firefox still defaults to XWayland even though it does have Wayland support. Also the Wayland support in Firefox nightly is much better than in stable Firefox.

Electron still does not support Wayland, so Atom, Chromium, Chrome, Edge, Skype, VS Code, etc all run via XWayland, not natively.
      If you thought Weston was shitty, try out TWM.
      It's the reference window manager on X, and it's "shittier" by today's standards.
      The resize handles are weird, the desktop asks you where to put each new window and raising windows is weird too (hovering on a window is enough to focus it, and you have to click the TITLE bar to raise it!).
      Last edited by tildearrow; 07 August 2021, 10:17 PM.

Comment

We're lucky to have one Xaver Hugl, he's involved in so many things to make gaming on Wayland great. Hopefully other protocols will land soon, we basically still have 0 color management support on Wayland, apart from GPU gamma ramps...

Comment

Chrome has good Wayland support. You just need to pass the correct flags. Same goes for Firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
            Chrome has good Wayland support. You just need to pass the correct flags. Same goes for Firefox.
            In the Electron world it’s, sadly, not enough.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              ... head-mounted dispkay support under Wayland...
              Display... mkay?!

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

In the Electron world it’s, sadly, not enough.
                According to this post

Electron 12 has native Wayland support.
                Last edited by tomas; 07 August 2021, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

It's the reference window manager on X, and it's "shittier".
                  The resize handles are weird, the desktop asks you where to put each new window and raising windows is weird too (hovering on a window is enough to focus it, and you have to click the TITLE bar to raise it!).
                  You don't speak sh*t about anyone's great grandfather just because they didn't have the knowledge and tools we have today.
                  Back then User Interface Design didn't exist yet and TWM was lightyears ahead in user friendliness from the console.
                  One of the first "real" user friendly UIs born with Motif and the Motif Window Manager, i.e. MWM.
                  Today, FVWM mimics how that looked and behaved, with right-click menus and all.

Learn a little digital archeology please.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    It's the reference window manager on X, and it's "shittier".
                    I would say they are equally "shit". However TWM manages to use a fraction of the code size. So I suppose it easily wins there

TWM is also more portable and runs on macOS, Windows, Android, MS-DOS, Plan 9, GNU Hurd, etc. So it wins there too.

And RAM usage between the two is fairly laughable.
                    Last edited by kpedersen; 07 August 2021, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X