Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DRM Lease Protocol Support Merged For Wayland For VR Headsets

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DRM Lease Protocol Support Merged For Wayland For VR Headsets

    Phoronix: DRM Lease Protocol Support Merged For Wayland For VR Headsets

    The months-long effort for adding DRM lease support to Wayland via a new protocol has now been merged into Wayland Protocols as a new staging addition. The "drm_lease_v1" is principally motivated for improving the virtual reality head-mounted dispkay support under Wayland...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...M-Lease-Merged

  • #2
    I know that Weston is just a demo compositor and not intended for real use, but it's pretty shitty. Windows and dialogs gets weird placement, not all applications works, you have to run some applications via the "dbus-launch" command.

    GNOME Shell is much better!

    I use Wayland with GNOME and it is good overall, but Firefox still defaults to XWayland even though it does have Wayland support. Also the Wayland support in Firefox nightly is much better than in stable Firefox.

    Electron still does not support Wayland, so Atom, Chromium, Chrome, Edge, Skype, VS Code, etc all run via XWayland, not natively.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I know that Weston is just a demo compositor and not intended for real use, but it's pretty shitty. Windows and dialogs gets weird placement, not all applications works, you have to run some applications via the "dbus-launch" command.

      GNOME Shell is much better!

      I use Wayland with GNOME and it is good overall, but Firefox still defaults to XWayland even though it does have Wayland support. Also the Wayland support in Firefox nightly is much better than in stable Firefox.

      Electron still does not support Wayland, so Atom, Chromium, Chrome, Edge, Skype, VS Code, etc all run via XWayland, not natively.
      If you thought Weston was shitty, try out TWM.
      It's the reference window manager on X, and it's "shittier" by today's standards.
      The resize handles are weird, the desktop asks you where to put each new window and raising windows is weird too (hovering on a window is enough to focus it, and you have to click the TITLE bar to raise it!).
      Last edited by tildearrow; 07 August 2021, 10:17 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        We're lucky to have one Xaver Hugl, he's involved in so many things to make gaming on Wayland great. Hopefully other protocols will land soon, we basically still have 0 color management support on Wayland, apart from GPU gamma ramps...

        Comment


        • #5
          Chrome has good Wayland support. You just need to pass the correct flags. Same goes for Firefox.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by MastaG View Post
            Chrome has good Wayland support. You just need to pass the correct flags. Same goes for Firefox.
            In the Electron world it’s, sadly, not enough.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              ... head-mounted dispkay support under Wayland...
              Display... mkay?!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by intelfx View Post

                In the Electron world it’s, sadly, not enough.
                According to this post

                https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=26317942

                Electron 12 has native Wayland support.
                Last edited by tomas; 07 August 2021, 10:49 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

                  If you thought Weston was shitty, try out TWM.
                  It's the reference window manager on X, and it's "shittier".
                  The resize handles are weird, the desktop asks you where to put each new window and raising windows is weird too (hovering on a window is enough to focus it, and you have to click the TITLE bar to raise it!).
                  You don't speak sh*t about anyone's great grandfather just because they didn't have the knowledge and tools we have today.
                  Back then User Interface Design didn't exist yet and TWM was lightyears ahead in user friendliness from the console.
                  One of the first "real" user friendly UIs born with Motif and the Motif Window Manager, i.e. MWM.
                  Today, FVWM mimics how that looked and behaved, with right-click menus and all.

                  Learn a little digital archeology please.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    If you thought Weston was shitty, try out TWM.
                    It's the reference window manager on X, and it's "shittier".
                    I would say they are equally "shit". However TWM manages to use a fraction of the code size. So I suppose it easily wins there

                    TWM is also more portable and runs on macOS, Windows, Android, MS-DOS, Plan 9, GNU Hurd, etc. So it wins there too.

                    And RAM usage between the two is fairly laughable.
                    Last edited by kpedersen; 07 August 2021, 12:03 PM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X