Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KWinFT Lands Code To Now Use WLROOTS For Wayland

Phoronix: KWinFT Lands Code To Now Use WLROOTS For Wayland

The KWinFT fork of KDE's KWin compositor has landed its support for using the WLROOTS Wayland library...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Could you finally tell us *where* did you see it capitalized as WLROOTS that you decided to copy it? :P

Comment

This could be the turning point where KwinFT becomes superior to KDE's kwin.

My perception is that WLROOTs is becoming the wayland reference implementation: tested a lot, used by multiple projects and with a lot attention from developers (making it more stable, faster and better?)

And that KDE is making a huge investment on having it's own implementation?

If KwinFT becomes better than KDE KWIN I'm curious on how KDE devs will react.

Comment

I'm looking forward to an Xorg-waylandish server being written for Wayland. Once this is done I will switch to this wonderful new graphical subsystem and will never look back. Having two dozen servers ("compositors" which are all essentially Xorg servers) for Wayland is not a path forward, it's a path backward since it means a duplication of effort, code, errors, features and great many bicycles Linux can do without. And wlroots is not the answer, it can't be.

Comment

That's what should have happened to any compositor out there. I simply love how wlroots has all those little tools, both GUI and command-line that to some degree fill the gap after the tools like xrandr for X11. Also limited code duplication, the strong and well tested base, flexibility... yeah, that is what we need - make a single standard for at least basic functionality for once

Comment

How is the current status of KWinFT on wayland? I tried it with Plasma 5.21 and ran back to Kwin.
            I will try it again, but beyond the nice words I find Kwin more reliable for the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
              How is the current status of KWinFT on wayland? I tried it with Plasma 5.21 and ran back to Kwin.
              I will try it again, but beyond the nice words I find Kwin more reliable for the moment.
              For the current release 5.22 KWin should work more reliable on Wayland, as KWinFT aimed long-term improvements through code refactor than immediate bug fixes. I would recommend you to try out KWinFT again with 5.23. Then the wlroots backend is in place and until then we hopefully have also bridged the gap in regards to input features on Wayland.

Of course if you're feeling adventurous you can always try out current master branch and test the current progress. Feedback welcome!

Comment

That is a good choice, wlroots is worlds ahead Qt's buggy low quality Wayland compositor backend.

The less Qt code is used, the better for the community.

Comment

If I had GabeN money I would finance this project too. With a very well hidden small clause that you have to not waste time with X11. [screaming]WLROOTS[/screaming] seems well managed and not having to keep up with Qt seems like a good idea for something so important (compositor). I wish you good luck.

Comment

kwinFt will replace Kwin in PLASMA?

Comment

Working...
                    X