No announcement yet.

XWayland 21.1.2 Nears With NVIDIA Hardware Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...at this point where are the folks praising nvidia for their outstanding "just works" driver? I have multiple systems (AMD/NVIDIA/Intel) and NVIDIA often breaks my setup especially in multimonitor or wayland situations. When is Wayland on Nvidia going to be usable properly?

Comment

Likely decades before my AMD Polaris ist working properly. Currenly it's enough top start a Wine Game to kill the kernel, even the time it did not immediatly crash i Had to Cut down max tdp to less than half to have it Run stable more than a few Minutes (works fine in Windows at full load).

​​​​​

Comment

Why Nvidia needs this EGL thing? Why can't just do like everybody else?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          They're going to eventually. Their patches for external GBM support in Mesa have just been approved for merge.
          I hope their GBM-supporting drivers follow soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
            Likely decades before my AMD Polaris ist working properly. Currenly it's enough top start a Wine Game to kill the kernel, even the time it did not immediatly crash i Had to Cut down max tdp to less than half to have it Run stable more than a few Minutes (works fine in Windows at full load).

​​​​​
            mesa or radeon driver? If you switch does it work then?

Comment

Originally posted by kon14 View Post
              They're going to eventually. Their patches for external GBM support in Mesa have just been approved for merge.
              I hope their GBM-supporting drivers follow soon enough.
              There is a big ouch in that bug report.
              Contribute to intel/minigbm development by creating an account on GitHub.

Applications are not required to use the Mesa GBM library. Yes its valid to use minigbm from intel using application next to a application using mesagbm and have the kernel sort it out.

GBM alternative discovery really should not be implemented in Mesa it really should be implemented in the kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

There is a big ouch in that bug report.
                Contribute to intel/minigbm development by creating an account on GitHub.

Applications are not required to use the Mesa GBM library. Yes its valid to use minigbm from intel using application next to a application using mesagbm and have the kernel sort it out.

GBM alternative discovery really should not be implemented in Mesa it really should be implemented in the kernel.
                Seems that the maintainers don't share your concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  It's NVIDIA's infamous "look, we will go open source but with ONE condition" thing.

When NVIDIA announced initial Wayland support, there was a DRM hook and a KMS hook but no GBM.
                  Instead, they somehow managed to standardize EGLStreams as the "ONE condition" part, on the grounds that NVIDIA hardware architecture works different from GBM, that GBM is mostly tied to Mesa and that NVIDIA would like to have additional information in the protocol.

Here is a slide from 2014:

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

It's NVIDIA's infamous "look, we will go open source but with ONE condition" thing.

When NVIDIA announced initial Wayland support, there was a DRM hook and a KMS hook but no GBM.
                    Instead, they somehow managed to standardize EGLStreams as the "ONE condition" part, on the grounds that NVIDIA hardware architecture works different from GBM, that GBM is mostly tied to Mesa and that NVIDIA would like to have additional information in the protocol.
                    The hard reality is EGLStreams has turned out to be quite limited in functionality compared to GBM as well. There are quite a few cases of different things that don't work with Nvidia closed source with KDE and Gnome that are really EGLStreams API design limitations.

Yes 2014 Nvidia said they think they could do better. Reality 6 years latter they could not. You have to think when you have 5 companies working on GBM and you are only 1 company there is a resource miss balance here. EGLStreams is a classic case of Not Invented here syndrome coming back to bite and yes it bit all the Linux users attempt to use Nvidia drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

The hard reality is EGLStreams has turned out to be quite limited in functionality compared to GBM as well. There are quite a few cases of different things that don't work with Nvidia closed source with KDE and Gnome that are really EGLStreams API design limitations.

Yes 2014 Nvidia said they think they could do better. Reality 6 years latter they could not. You have to think when you have 5 companies working on GBM and you are only 1 company there is a resource miss balance here. EGLStreams is a classic case of Not Invented here syndrome coming back to bite and yes it bit all the Linux users attempt to use Nvidia drivers.
                      Furthermore it is tied to OpenGL, which means you can't use Vulkan with EGLStreams (or it is too difficult to), as it is designed for OpenGL and OpenGL only.
                      GBM is not tied to any graphics API.

Comment

Working...
                      X