Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XWayland 21.1.2 Nears With NVIDIA Hardware Acceleration

Phoronix: XWayland 21.1.2 Nears With NVIDIA Hardware Acceleration

Michel Dänzer of Red Hat is preparing the release of XWayland 21.1.2 as the newest update to this standalone XWayland package separate from a whole X.Org Server release for running X11 clients within a Wayland environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's the status of running GNOME on Wayland on my NVIDIA GPU? XWayland will be cool, but I'm currently forced to let my MX250 sit idle while my iGPU handles everything, and it borrows a bunch of my system RAM whenever I use a 3D games.

I'm honestly regretting buying this version of my laptop, I didn't know about the reclocking 'issues' at the time. Had I known, I'd have waited for Xe graphics, Intel is doing a great job.

I really wish that NVIDIA would show some baseline decency to the Nouveau project and let them build a native driver, or create a mode where the proprietary driver handles thermals & clocking while the GPU is run by Nouveau.

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post
      What's the status of running GNOME on Wayland on my NVIDIA GPU? XWayland will be cool, but I'm currently forced to let my MX250 sit idle while my iGPU handles everything, and it borrows a bunch of my system RAM whenever I use a 3D games.

I'm honestly regretting buying this version of my laptop, I didn't know about the reclocking 'issues' at the time. Had I known, I'd have waited for Xe graphics, Intel is doing a great job.

I really wish that NVIDIA would show some baseline decency to the Nouveau project and let them build a native driver, or create a mode where the proprietary driver handles thermals & clocking while the GPU is run by Nouveau.
      I believe Gnome Wayland on Nvidia is not blacklisted anymore in some distros, e.g. Fedora. However, limitations remain. I still use the iGPU..
      For Nouveau support, I would not hold my breath. Only use of Nvidia GPU is for hw acceleration/machine learning that you can use even when the desktop runs on the iGPU..

Comment

Looks like all the noise about big changes in the Nvidia Linux driver world was rather blown out of proportion.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

I believe Gnome Wayland on Nvidia is not blacklisted anymore in some distros, e.g. Fedora. However, limitations remain. I still use the iGPU..
          For Nouveau support, I would not hold my breath. Only use of Nvidia GPU is for hw acceleration/machine learning that you can use even when the desktop runs on the iGPU..
          The solution I've been waiting for, and which a NVidia developer stated that might be coming with 470, is running Wayland desktop in my iGPU but being able to offload certain XWayland applications (i.e. games) to my NVidia dGPU.

Comment

HiDPI handling when?

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post
              HiDPI handling when?
              When Wayland moves from GL to Vulkan

Comment

Originally posted by sabian2008 View Post
                The solution I've been waiting for, and which a NVidia developer stated that might be coming with 470, is running Wayland desktop in my iGPU but being able to offload certain XWayland applications (i.e. games) to my NVidia dGPU.
                This is exactly the scenario I'm looking forward to. I have a workstation/gaming machine with a Radeon card I want to use for the desktop and general tasks and a 3080 Ti that I want to use for offloading native Linux games, with the additional ability to fire up a Windows VM with the 3080 Ti passed through for necessary titles.

Comment

Gnome on Wayland was already working for the last couple of Fedora releases as they enable the eglstreams feature in Gnome.

You just have to install the drivers from rpm fusion.

The only problem up until now has been the lack of OpenGL support in XWayland, so running things like Steam or Wine (on Gnome Wayland eglstreams) would always fallback to software rendering.

I believe this is the last piece of the puzzle.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
                    Gnome on Wayland was already working for the last couple of Fedora releases as they enable the eglstreams feature in Gnome.

You just have to install the drivers from rpm fusion.

The only problem up until now has been the lack of OpenGL support in XWayland, so running things like Steam or Wine (on Gnome Wayland eglstreams) would always fallback to software rendering.

I believe this is the last piece of the puzzle.
                    I have not checked with F34 but did Gnome Wayland EGLstreams reach feature parity with Gnome Wayland GBM?
                    My status is that HiDPI and multi-monitor is still not fully solved (or at least was not solved until recently).

Comment

Working...
                    X