X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TiberiusDuval
    replied
    Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Unity was a technical dead end, with weird concepts and never run well on any hardware. Its the software version of old people looking back to the 60s with nostalgia and saying "when I was young, everything was better".
    I could get it run semiacceptably even on my old Lenovo T60....

Leave a comment:

• GizmoChicken
    replied
    Originally posted by evasb View Post

Technical dead end. I agree. But usability-wise was pretty good. I think Unity design concept was on-par with macOS. The user doesn't care that Unity was a mess, it just works and people miss it.
    I'm happily using Unity on Ubuntu 21.04. It's a "dead end" in the sense that there's no path to Wayland, and new features aren't being added. But the current feature set is being maintained. I'm sure that someday I'll feel compelled to switch to a DE that supports Wayland. Hopefully Lomiri will be usable on the desktop by then.

Leave a comment:

• evasb
    replied

Unity was a technical dead end, with weird concepts and never run well on any hardware. Its the software version of old people looking back to the 60s with nostalgia and saying "when I was young, everything was better".
    Technical dead end. I agree. But usability-wise was pretty good. I think Unity design concept was on-par with macOS. The user doesn't care that Unity was a mess, it just works and people miss it.

Leave a comment:

• Ironmask
    replied
    I remember when Unity came out, it specifically said it was "made for netbooks". I installed it on my Asus Eee PC and it was completely unusable, it felt like trying to use a UI made in Flash.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    Vistaus Don’t
    So you own Phoronix.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied

I have not seen him claiming GNOME has no bugs, to think any software has no bugs is a sigh of insanity.
    Its always worth to see it in a context.
    And it's also always worth to look at emoticons. 'Cause if you did, you could've seen that I was just messing around instead of quoting.

Leave a comment:

• finalzone
    replied
    Unity was abandoned just when they reached its sweet spot.
    Because Unity was a complete mess code wises. Other distributions tried to port it on theirs but gave up because of custom package requirement specific to Ubuntu.

Leave a comment:

• Alexmitter
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Impossible. 144Hz and a few other devoted GNOME lovers on here are certain there are no bugs.
    I have not seen him claiming GNOME has no bugs, to think any software has no bugs is a sigh of insanity.
    Its always worth to see it in a context. Qt, the proprietary sold toolkit of our famous always nr. 2 desktop alone has more confirmed bugs open then the whole gnome ecosystem, some of them date back to Qt4, a few even to Qt3. Never fixed because no paying customer ever requested it to be fixed.

There will not be a lot of work on file-roller going forward as the focus is on getting archive functionality in nautilus itself, fedora for example already uses that insted.

Leave a comment:

• Alexmitter
    replied
    Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
    only if they bring unity back
    Unity was abandoned just when they reached its sweet spot.

Leave a comment:

• Alexmitter
    replied
    Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

out of my head, Mir seems to be the solution..
    It always was, even with the older protocol which was lighter than wayland..
    The old protocol (Mir) was not "lighter", it was basically Wayland with a few pieces from the Android Display Server stack thrown in.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X