Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical's Mir 2.4 Brings Numerous X11 + Wayland Enhancements

Phoronix: Canonical's Mir 2.4 Brings Numerous X11 + Wayland Enhancements

Mir continues to be developed by Ubuntu-maker Canonical as a set of libraries and Wayland compositor for building Wayland-based shells with integrated window management and other features to ease the bring-up and catering to business use-cases around IoT and digital signage, among other uses. Out today is version 2.4 of Mir with more features and fixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

We know that MIR is used in some Canonical projects, however are there any DEs that have planned to use MIR? Initially I thought some (minor) DEs like XFCE would use him as a composer for Wayland, but I don't read anything about it, so I guess not.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
      We know that MIR is used in some Canonical projects, however are there any DEs that have planned to use MIR? Initially I thought some (minor) DEs like XFCE would use him as a composer for Wayland, but I don't read anything about it, so I guess not.
      Mir seems to be too focused on the embedded use case. The Xfce Team said they want to either use Mutter or wlroots.

Edit: I think there was some experimenting with getting Mate to run on top of Mir. Also Lomiri uses Mir.

Comment

What is lighter? Mir, libweston, or wlroots?

Comment

I still kinda wish they'd start using it on Desktop ubuntu as well again. I've had a number of problems with Gnome's compositor and looking into it always left me with a very bad taste in my mouth. The whole threading model as well as involving a fairly buggy javascript runtime in something which stays alive for the length of your entire desktop session (which means small errors or resource leaks compound over time and cause trouble at a much later point in time) seem like such horrible design decisions. Of course there are historical reasons, but I still wish I could throw the whole thing in the trash without taking too much of a hit in terms of UI experience. Which is exactly what the old mir-based ubuntu desktop experience provided.

Comment

Trying to use gnome in Ubuntu:

A zip file where I only need one file? Not a problem I said. Open it up and drag the file… nothing

Copy, paste… nothing

Right-click copy, then right-click and paste is greyed out

Whatever, I’ll just extract it to my Downloads folder and copy it from there.

Right click nautilus from the Dock and click “Downloads” and now I have no nautilus windows, it crashed.

I’m glad that for now, wayland is not the default

Comment

lyamc
              It's a known bug: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/file-roller/-/issues/4
              On ubuntu I got around it by installing some package that unfortunately I can't remember right now
              If it comes back to my mind I'll tell you

Comment

A 2 year old bug, nice

Comment

Originally posted by rastersoft View Post
                  What is lighter? Mir, libweston, or wlroots?
                  out of my head, Mir seems to be the solution..
                  It always was, even with the older protocol which was lighter than wayland..

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
                    ubuntu Touch by UBPorts, Lomiri for Desktop, Mate, etc

Comment

Working...
                    X