Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zcansi
    replied
    I still kinda wish they'd start using it on Desktop ubuntu as well again. I've had a number of problems with Gnome's compositor and looking into it always left me with a very bad taste in my mouth. The whole threading model as well as involving a fairly buggy javascript runtime in something which stays alive for the length of your entire desktop session (which means small errors or resource leaks compound over time and cause trouble at a much later point in time) seem like such horrible design decisions. Of course there are historical reasons, but I still wish I could throw the whole thing in the trash without taking too much of a hit in terms of UI experience. Which is exactly what the old mir-based ubuntu desktop experience provided.

Leave a comment:

• rastersoft
    replied
    What is lighter? Mir, libweston, or wlroots?

Leave a comment:

• Alexmitter
    replied
    Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
    We know that MIR is used in some Canonical projects, however are there any DEs that have planned to use MIR? Initially I thought some (minor) DEs like XFCE would use him as a composer for Wayland, but I don't read anything about it, so I guess not.
    Mir seems to be too focused on the embedded use case. The Xfce Team said they want to either use Mutter or wlroots.

Edit: I think there was some experimenting with getting Mate to run on top of Mir. Also Lomiri uses Mir.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie68
    replied
    We know that MIR is used in some Canonical projects, however are there any DEs that have planned to use MIR? Initially I thought some (minor) DEs like XFCE would use him as a composer for Wayland, but I don't read anything about it, so I guess not.

Leave a comment:

• Canonical's Mir 2.4 Brings Numerous X11 + Wayland Enhancements

Phoronix: Canonical's Mir 2.4 Brings Numerous X11 + Wayland Enhancements

Mir continues to be developed by Ubuntu-maker Canonical as a set of libraries and Wayland compositor for building Wayland-based shells with integrated window management and other features to ease the bring-up and catering to business use-cases around IoT and digital signage, among other uses. Out today is version 2.4 of Mir with more features and fixes...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...r-2.4-Released
Working...
X