Experimental Wayland Driver For Wine Now Supports Vulkan, Other Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pracedru View Post

Games that are build to run on Windows are completely unaware of X11 and Wayland.
    This work will make all Wine apps run on Wayland.
    The original poster was asking about a Wayland "native" Steam client. So I can only assume they were mostly talking about native Linux games rather than win32 compatibility layers like Wine.

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
    As a business perspective, there is no financial reason to port most of the proprietary games to Wayland, it is why Valve has the Proton project in place. Besides Proton makes most native Linux games irrelevant in the long run, and this Wine solution _CAN_ make for a better solution performance wise but only time will tell.
    Exactly. Companies won't port to Wayland because, well, they have already earned their money.

As for Wine rendering Linux games irrelevant, it has never happened so far but I don't entirely disagree with you. Sadly AAA games on open-source platforms are almost a non-starter anyway so it wouldn't exactly have a high bar to beat.
    Last edited by kpedersen; 07 June 2021, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
      As for Wine rendering Linux games irrelevant, it has never happened so far but I don't entirely disagree with you. Sadly AAA games on open-source platforms are almost a non-starter anyway so it wouldn't exactly have a high bar to beat.
      Well it's good that we have sub-communities that always has a keen heart to bring solutions, and testers that take their time off to report problems/bugs/issues.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        What about all those proprietary games on Steam? Rekon they will decide to port to Wayland?
        The answer to this is most likely no for a lot of the existing.

We already have proprietary games that work in wine/proton not on current day Windows 10 because the game developers have decided not to update the games for windows 10 changes. So we should not be surprised for particular Linux native games we still have to use XWayland as a compatibility layer.

Of course there are going to be games that use SDL2 or other third party libraries that will be able to updated to Wayland by valve updating the libraries those games use. Of course that will not be the maker of the game deciding to port the game to wayland but Valve deciding to update the linux steam runtime the game uses so the game works anyhow with port work.

Hard reality here game developers even with windows updates don't always bother porting their games to newer versions. This is the nature of the beast. The change from X11 bare metal to Xwayland over time should result in most of the existing games still being able work going forwards.

There are already some new closed source game engines that support Linux with native Wayland support so without question there will be some new games with native Wayland support.

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post

I don't really know how SDL2 works, but isn't there any way to bring some bridge/mapper/compatibility layer that would let us run games built against older SDL2 libraries to work natively on Wayland? Some time ago I read that there are such attempts to bring SDL1.2 games support on modern distros, but maybe someone with more knowledge could elaborate on that?
          SDL 2 itself is that compatibility layer and, since January 2014, has had support for runtime-loading a newer version... even if the developer statically linked it.

The reason SDL 1.2 needed help is the same reason we need XWayland. The APIs needed to remain compatible with the older games were holding back the newer ones from using the hardware ideally and integrating properly with relevant platform APIs, so running SDL 1.2 on top of 2.0 is closer to XWayland in terms of what adaptations need to be made.

(Remember that the SDL 1.x line dates back to 1998.)
          Last edited by ssokolow; 07 June 2021, 04:46 PM.

Comment

This and more easier Gamma adjustments (not colour/brightness/contrast, gamma) under Wayland without requiring 3rd party hacks will be nice.
            The other BIG bucket list for me under Linux is EAC/BE support under Wine or Proton, but that may never happen sadly. (too hard bucket).

Meanwhile I'm sort of stuck on Win10 until anticheat situation is fixed (if ever). I mean I could tell all my online friends to get fxxxxx... but it seems that's kind of a silly solution.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
              The other BIG bucket list for me under Linux is EAC/BE support under Wine or Proton, but that may never happen sadly. (too hard bucket).
              Some games have EAC working, I imagine it can only get better.

Although more invasive methods keep getting invented...

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post

Some games have EAC working, I imagine it can only get better.

Although more invasive methods keep getting invented...
                The only EAC and BE games that have it working are NATIVE Linux versions. Nothing via Wine or Proton (old videos showing people getting it working, are not representative of the current situation).

Comment

Is it possible yet to disable vsync with wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

The only EAC and BE games that have it working are NATIVE Linux versions. Nothing via Wine or Proton (old videos showing people getting it working, are not representative of the current situation).
                    'Squad' has been working for ~12 months, latest report is only a month ago. https://www.protondb.com/app/393380

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
                      'Squad' has been working for ~12 months, latest report is only a month ago. https://www.protondb.com/app/393380
                      Interesting, wonder if it works for other games.

Comment

Working...
                      X