No announcement yet.

Wayland-Protocols 1.21 Released With XDG_Activation, Staging Replaces Unstable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland-Protocols 1.21 Released With XDG_Activation, Staging Replaces Unstable

Phoronix: Wayland-Protocols 1.21 Released With XDG_Activation, Staging Replaces Unstable

Released on Friday was a new version of Wayland-Protocols, the collection of protocol specifications for Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is this why when I open the "About Firefox" window on X it opens up in the center but when I open it in Wayland it open randomly somewhere in a weird place?

But I don't know, when I open a modal in my GTK application then the modal appears in the center of the application regardless of where my application happens to be positioned.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Is this why when I open the "About Firefox" window on X it opens up in the center but when I open it in Wayland it open randomly somewhere in a weird place?
      Wayland knows surfaces and subsurfaces. The placement of surfaces is the compositors job, it usually places it on the monitor where the pointer is somewhere in the top left corner. The issue with Firefox's about dialog is that it is another surface, not a subsurface that would logically be placed in the middle of the parent windows dimensions. A surface has no control of another foreign surface, even if it spawned it.

This is correctly implemented in GTK3/4 for example as you already found out yourself.

But I don't know, when I open a modal in my GTK application then the modal appears in the center of the application regardless of where my application happens to be positioned.

Comment

With the protocol now part of Wayland-Protocols 1.21, the XDG_Activation support on the KDE side was already merged.
        No https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/434 only in Plasma 5.23

Comment

Would havs been nice to include this to Plasma 5.22. The beta is not out yet and this seems like something a lot of users will notice on Wayland.

Comment

Bad setup? No, I know that it could very well be a bug, but birdie reported the same issue a few days ago and Phoronixers accused him of having a bad setup…

Comment

can someone please explain what does this mean?:
              "This protocol is for transferring focus between top-level surfaces such as from a launcher to launchee."

is it a different flow than when I launch something in gnome by clicking on its icon in the overview (or how is it called) or if I lunch a graphical application from a terminal? They already transfer the focus on the new application window.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Bad setup? No, I know that it could very well be a bug, but birdie reported the same issue a few days ago and Phoronixers accused him of having a bad setup…
                Oh, I just checked and it seems to have been fixed.
                I have this issue in Firefox 88, but not in Firefox nightly anymore.

Comment

The result of too much security.
                  Now windows can't even suggest where to be placed, while this very basic thing was on X11 for ages. Amazing Wayland Quality!

Maybe GTK modals are centered because of the center modal windows option in GNOME, or the fact it knows a parent window and Firefox does not set it...

Comment

can some explain why gnome is interfering?
                    if i remember correctly long time ago scuba package dev was criticising heavily gnome devs for their behaviour. yes? attitude
                    there were also concerns about the dieection or ideas about gnome shell also

Comment

Working...
                    X