Wayland Is Driving Fragmentation Around EDID Parsing - A Call To Fix That

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loganj View Post
    isn't this outside of the scope of wayland?
    From what I understand its more for Weston and others along that line than it is for Wayland and it looks to be a separate project, not put into Wayland code.

Its Wayland focused as they have a fragmentation problem happening and are tired of it.
    Last edited by ix900; 07 April 2021, 10:12 AM.

Comment

isn't this outside of the scope of wayland?
      This is not about Wayland but Wayland Display Servers like Mutter, Kwin, wlroots, mir and so on all having to potentially do their own EDID parser to interpret what the display is capable of. Wayland is the interface specification between applications and those servers, it does not say anything on how those servers have to work.

Comment

Alexmitter i think its about wayland. of course the purpose of this is to be used by compositors but it will be in wayland. i wonder what will be next

Comment

What, an architectural oversight leading to implementations having to do the same thing every client has to each on their own??
          Totally unexpected tbh from the redhat/gnome/PROGRESSIVEPEOPLEOFTHEFUTURE stack =P

Comment

Alexmitter i think its about wayland. of course the purpose of this is to be used by compositors but it will be in wayland. i wonder what will be next
            This is exactly as "about wayland" as libinput is - so "not really; well, kinda, but only indirectly".

Comment

EDID parsing is not that complicated, and the styles of many of these projects are different (though some of them are similar enough). I feel like it's not really a big deal to have EDID parser fragmentation.

Good to get some centralization where it makes sense though.

Comment

TL;DR: This is a call to replicate the success of getting everyone together to make a successor for GNOME's use of CORBA and KDE's DCOP and then calling it D-Bus.

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
                  How to prevent 927:
                  1. Create a new universal standard to end all standards
                  2. Make sure your standard resembles the most popular current standard
                  3. Use embrace, extend and extinguish
                  4. ???
                  5. Situation: There are 15 competing standards, of which the new one is the most used and the rest have 1% usage share.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix
                    Wayland Is Driving Fragmentation
                    Could have just stopped there.

Comment

Ah, here we go again, Wayland doesn't provide a standard(ized) WM/WC out of the box or is Wayland = Gnome?

Comment

Working...
                      X