Wayland Is Driving Fragmentation Around EDID Parsing - A Call To Fix That

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Is Driving Fragmentation Around EDID Parsing - A Call To Fix That

Phoronix: Wayland Is Driving Fragmentation Around EDID Parsing - A Call To Fix That

In the open-source world there can even be much fragmentation and multiple implementations around something as central as parsing of EDID blobs for monitor (display) information and that's only been made worse by the growing number of Wayland compositors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
      Agree the correct answer would have been make it part of DRM that is in the Linux kernel and shared with the freebsd kernel and in time block of user-space interfacing directly so forcing usage of a common standard.

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
        This isn't about a new standard, its about providing a common Unix philosophy libraries that parses EDID data, no one is coming up with a new EDID standard.

Comment

Hopefully this will make custom resolutions and refresh rates under Wayland easier. I have a secondary monitor that doesn't advertise 75Hz but will happily run there, making email management easier on the eyes. Or my laptop that can under-clock the display to 48Hz on battery.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

This isn't about a new standard, its about providing a common Unix philosophy libraries that parses EDID data, no one is coming up with a new EDID standard.
            but someone is about to come up with another implementation (possibly).

Comment

Typo:
              potentially based on one od the existing EDID parsing libraries

Comment

isn't this outside of the scope of wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                  isn't this outside of the scope of wayland?
                  My feeling is Wayland set out to improve security, developed a set of specs, broke a lot of functionality and called it date.
                  They had the best intentions and are still improving the protocol to add back some of the missing pieces, but my feeling is if you wanted to divide the existing ecosystem, you could hardly have done a better job.

Comment

A well done standard improve compatibility simplifying communication and interpretation of the information.

Comment

Working...
                    X