Standalone XWayland Makes It For Ubuntu 21.04 Along With Linux 5.11, Mesa 21.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    (…) Wayland was first released 2008 (12 years ago). Not sure I consider that modern.
    Just because you read it on Wikipedia, doesn't make it true. Wayland was *announced* in 2008. The first commit was created at the time. The first stable release was in 2012, but no toolkits supported it yet. If I see correctly, Gtk support for Wayland was completed in 2016 in 3.20, and soon after Fedora turned it on by default with Fedora 25 / Gnome 3.22. For comparison, X was in various states of development for 9 years before it was ported to Linux.

Comment

I'm using Wayland on Ubuntu 20.10 with an Nvidia card and it's been pretty damn stable even without XWayland acceleration. It's mixed DPI support is pretty incredible so I only switch back to X.org when I want to play a game or use Davinci Resolve.

Comment

"Modern" is a relative qualifier. In this case relative to the only alternative which is X.org. Which is slightly older than 2008. So, yeah, modern.

Comment

Originally posted by unis_torvalds View Post
          "Modern" is a relative qualifier. In this case relative to the only alternative which is X.org. Which is slightly older than 2008. So, yeah, modern.
          Yeah, I wouldn't call Wayland "modern", but rather "more modern".

But it's not the only alternative: Arcan is a very good alternative as well (if we only look at the display server and not at the fact that GTK et all don't natively support it, although it does have XWayland support through a hook).

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            I am running Ubuntu 21.04 (daily) and it has not been stable for me. I get GPU hangs with my Intel 4770K "Haswell" iGPU,
            Last time I got it was yesterday, and that with the new version of Mesa, but it also happened yesterday with the old version of Mesa.
            Does 21.04 still use the 5.10 kernel? That is your problem. I also have a Haswell based system and the 5.10 kernel caused all kind of IGPU troubles that were solved when I upgraded to 5.11
            Turns out that the changes made to the I915 driver for IGPU <= gen 7.5 to solve a security issue are the culprit. The I915 driver in 5.11 has new code to solve the security problem and is also delivering better graphics performance.

Comment

Originally posted by FPScholten View Post

Does 21.04 still use the 5.10 kernel? That is your problem. I also have a Haswell based system and the 5.10 kernel caused all kind of IGPU troubles that were solved when I upgraded to 5.11
              Turns out that the changes made to the I915 driver for IGPU <= gen 7.5 to solve a security issue are the culprit. The I915 driver in 5.11 has new code to solve the security problem and is also delivering better graphics performance.
              Yes, Ubuntu 21.04 used the 5.10 kernel, but today/yesterday they pushed out the 5.11 kernel. Since I've upgraded yesterday I've had graphical glitches and flickering too.

Comment

For me it has been completely fixed since the 5.11.4 release. We are now at 5.11.7 so do not know what might cause your issue. anything in the logs? Did you file a bug? might help....

Comment

I'd like to see some tests with OpenCL 3.0 in this Mesa 21.0... on AMD card...

Comment

Wayland works really well on my Raspberry Pi 4. Yes, there are a few minors bugs and uglies here and there, but for the most part, Wayland is so much better than X that I haven't had any desire to go back to X for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

uubuntu 21.04 is quite unstable, not a good distro, like 17.10, wayland is not stable, a lot of problems continue, I have my doubts they will maintain this protocol for the next lts if things continue so bad
                      Ubuntu 21.04 hasn't been released yet. It's in beta state at most.

Comment

Working...
                      X