No announcement yet.

Standalone XWayland Makes It For Ubuntu 21.04 Along With Linux 5.11, Mesa 21.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standalone XWayland Makes It For Ubuntu 21.04 Along With Linux 5.11, Mesa 21.0

Phoronix: Standalone XWayland Makes It For Ubuntu 21.04 Along With Linux 5.11, Mesa 21.0

As part of planning for Ubuntu 21.04 to use Wayland by default when running on the default GNOME Shell desktop, Ubuntu developers were going to evaluate the standalone XWayland work being pursued by Red Hat initially for Fedora in order to ship newer XWayland code without resorting to releasing a new X.Org Server. That standalone XWayland package is now on its way to the Ubuntu archive...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

👍
    ____

Comment

That's nice. Ubuntu users deserve a modern display server.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
        That's nice. Ubuntu users deserve a modern display server.
        I think it is best that the open-source community avoids words like "modern". Wayland was first released 2008 (12 years ago). Not sure I consider that modern.

To put this in perspective, Windows 7 came out 1 year *after* Wayland and is certainly no longer considered modern.

So Ubuntu has traded in one ancient (but more proven and flexible) display server with another ancient (but still fairly under-developed / immature) display server. I am barely sure this is news at this point

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

I think it is best that the open-source community avoids words like "modern". Wayland was first released 2008 (12 years ago). Not sure I consider that modern.

To put this in perspective, Windows 7 came out 1 year *after* Wayland and is certainly no longer considered modern.

So Ubuntu has traded in one ancient (but more proven and flexible) display server with another ancient (but still fairly under-developed / immature) display server. I am barely sure this is news at this point
          This is incorrect. Most commercial software is prepared way before it gets released to the public. Windows 7 did not begin CODING in 2009. Wayland in 2008 was just a protocol, an idea, it was nothing like it is today. It is just that in the opensource world we get "early access" to the proceedings of creating software, unlike the closed source world. It is not equivalent.

Comment

I am running Ubuntu 21.04 (daily) and it has not been stable for me. I get GPU hangs with my Intel 4770K "Haswell" iGPU,
            Last time I got it was yesterday, and that with the new version of Mesa, but it also happened yesterday with the old version of Mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              I am running Ubuntu 21.04 (daily) and it has not been stable for me. I get GPU hangs with my Intel 4770K "Haswell" iGPU,
              Last time I got it was yesterday, and that with the new version of Mesa, but it also happened yesterday with the old version of Mesa.
              uubuntu 21.04 is quite unstable, not a good distro, like 17.10, wayland is not stable, a lot of problems continue, I have my doubts they will maintain this protocol for the next lts if things continue so bad

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

uubuntu 21.04 is quite unstable, not a good distro, like 17.10, wayland is not stable, a lot of problems continue, I have my doubts they will maintain this protocol for the next lts if things continue so bad
                Wayland is very stable. It is a joy to use on Fedora 33 and well integrated. If it is unstable on Ubuntu, it is because of teething problems. If Canonical needs to defer Wayland to a later release, that wouldn't be disastrous. Better defer and cook it some more, than release it half done.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

I haven't had problems with Wayland, it seems pretty stable.
                  I've had some problems with Ubuntu being unstable but it is because they did not want to bring in the new GNOME 40 because it was too new, so they stuck with the old GNOME 3.38 but backported the input multithreading code from GNOME 40 and that made it unstable.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

It might help to focus on features. Wayland offers similar features as DirectComposition and CoreAnimations on the latest versions of Win10/MacOS do while X11 doesn't. So it can most likely considered to be modern.

Comment

Working...
                    X