Standalone XWayland Makes It For Ubuntu 21.04 Along With Linux 5.11, Mesa 21.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post

Wayland is very stable. It is a joy to use on Fedora 33 and well integrated. If it is unstable on Ubuntu, it is because of teething problems. If Canonical needs to defer Wayland to a later release, that wouldn't be disastrous. Better defer and cook it some more, than release it half done.
    For me and plenty of other users, wayland (Mutter) still has too many issues on both Manjaro and Ubuntu to be a daily driver, it's not related to 21.04 being in the early stages.
    Fedora has a more consistent dev-oriented user base. With a more diverse and wider audience, and 10x the use cases and workflows, it wouldn't be too surprising if it is nowhere near as straightforward on Ubuntu.
    And they said they would try for wayland, they did not guarantee it. So I sort of expect them to rollback to X at the last minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
      For me and plenty of other users, wayland (Mutter) still has too many issues on both Manjaro and Ubuntu to be a daily driver, it's not related to 21.04 being in the early stages.
      Fedora has a more consistent dev-oriented user base. With a more diverse and wider audience, and 10x the use cases and workflows, it wouldn't be too surprising if it is nowhere near as straightforward on Ubuntu.
      And they said they would try for wayland, they did not guarantee it. So I sort of expect them to rollback to X at the last minute.
      I tried Manjaro Gnome once and it was just patched until it was broken. It just did not run well at all.
      Ubuntu Wayland did have some issues, some of their inhouse patches made it less stable then lets say on Fedora, but it was quite solid.
      Fedora of course with their clean from upstream philosophy works beautifully well.

Comment

I’m using daily Ubuntu and it is very stable. Seems like an Intel gpu related bug or something if you are having issues.

Comment

Working...
        X