Sway 1.6-rc1 Released With Better Touchscreen/Tablet Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post
    Does anybody know of a way to configure Sway so that it defaults to opening new windows in "floating" mode instead of tiling? I can't stand tiling.
    Look at the `for_window` rules.

But if you don't like tiling, don't use a tiling window manager. Their MO does not work for floating windows.

Comment

I use Sway with tabbed mode. I'm mod+w all the time, baby!

Comment

I've been using Sway for a year now and it's pretty good. The only problems I have are outside of Sway's control such as GDM forgetting that sway exists and going to gnome at times on login, some wine "always on top float" windows being unusable (no input).

There's one odd bug which is probably also Wayland rather than Sway. Some wine fullscreen games will "hold the mouse" in other screens. If I switch off to the browser for example the mouse cursor stays decorated and I can't click anything. Oddly enough some other apps work fine so it's specific to Wayland vs XWayland apps I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
          FYI, I have installed Wayfire just to give it a spin, but most of those effects are distractions. But their snap to edge functionality is pretty cool!
          You can disable most of the effects pretty easily in Wayfire. Just remove the "animate" and "wobbly" plugins from being enabled in the configuration file.

I'm using Wayfire 0.7.0 and I've never been able to see any "snap to edge" functionality working. What do you mean by "snap to edge?" I was hoping for windows that would have a slight resistance to being moved beyond the edges of the viewable screen area, but no such luck. Windows that have a slight resistance when moving them up against other window's edges would be nice too.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

In that case why are you using a TILING desktop manager?
            Can't Sway run in tabbed mode too? i3 can.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

More like he wanted to fly from New York to Paris but in fact boarded a train to Baltimore and now he's asking the locals where's the Eiffel Tower.
              Sway actually supports floating, while Baltimore doesn't have anything like the Eiffel Tower, so your comparison is moot. You should've said "Tokyo" instead of Baltimore as Tokyo actually has something that looks remarkably like the Eiffel Tower.

Comment

Originally posted by aorth View Post
                I use Sway with tabbed mode. I'm mod+w all the time, baby!
                No, you should stop using Sway if you use tabbed mode because that's not tiling either, according to the snarky comments here.

Comment

i3 / Sway is also fairly competent as a floating WM. It has a title bar you can move the window with and borders that you can drag to resize the window with.

What more do people want?

Comment

While sway is a tiling compositor by design, it supports floating windows quite well. What's more important, it allows expanding it's functionality via two IPC mechanisms: wlr foreign toplevel protocol (via wlroots) and i3 IPC. These allow implementation of additional window handling functionality (i.e. taskbars, window switchers etc). I found it quite easy to design a good floating window workflow around sway. And given that sway is probably the most actively maintained lightweight compositor currently, it's not an unreasonable choice for a floating layout.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                      No, you should stop using Sway if you use tabbed mode because that's not tiling either, according to the snarky comments here.
                      What if I first tile 2-3 windows on my screen, then make a tab of only one of the windows on my screen?
                      Does the Phoronix community consider my use-case to be pure tiling window management or am I a fraud too? (sarcasm if not obvious)

Comment

Working...
                      X