Sway 1.6-rc1 Released With Better Touchscreen/Tablet Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    No, you should stop using Sway if you use tabbed mode because that's not tiling either, according to the snarky comments here.
    What if I first tile 2-3 windows on my screen, then make a tab of only one of the windows on my screen?
    Does the Phoronix community consider my use-case to be pure tiling window management or am I a fraud too? (sarcasm if not obvious)

Comment

Sad to see that the tray support for d-bus menu icons is still not merged.
      Quite annoying that I can't interact with some of my tray icons without this fix.

https://github.com/swaywm/sway/pull/5161

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        i3 / Sway is also fairly competent as a floating WM. It has a title bar you can move the window with and borders that you can drag to resize the window with.

What more do people want?
        But not for long. Soon Phoronix commenters will take over and remove everything floating

Comment

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post
          Does anybody know of a way to configure Sway so that it defaults to opening new windows in "floating" mode instead of tiling? I can't stand tiling.
          Hikari looks like a better alternative for a minimal stacking compositor.

Comment

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post

I'm using Wayfire 0.7.0 and I've never been able to see any "snap to edge" functionality working. What do you mean by "snap to edge?" I was hoping for windows that would have a slight resistance to being moved beyond the edges of the viewable screen area, but no such luck. Windows that have a slight resistance when moving them up against other window's edges would be nice too.
            In my wayfire, if you drag a window to the left, or right, top, or bottom, at the point the cursor reaches the edge the compositor will show a representation of a half screen maximized window, and if you release the mouse, it will snap the window to that. Then if you drag the window from that maximized state, it will return to its former size. Also, there are key-bindings that for example I can hold super and hit keypad numbers to zap the window to the four quadrants + left, right top, bottom maximized, and full screen. There seems to be a lot of configurability there, though I have not delved too deeply into it yet...

Comment

Tabbed mode is not a thing that's separate from tiling. Tabs are simply sub-workspaces, nothing more. Within each tab, tiling also occurs, even if you only have one app displaying there.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
                I'd love to see a simple hybrid shell/window manager that could do tiling and floating.
                For KDE there's really nice https://github.com/kwin-scripts/kwin-tiling

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
                (...) I always install Rectangle (pretty much successor of Spectacle) on macOS to achieve.
                I've heard Magnet is good - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/magnet/id441258766

Comment

Working...
                X