Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sway 1.6-rc1 Released With Better Touchscreen/Tablet Support

Phoronix: Sway 1.6-rc1 Released With Better Touchscreen/Tablet Support

For fans of Sway as the i3-inspired Wayland compositor the v1.6 update is coming soon while out today is the release candidate...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...x=Sway-1.6-rc1

Does anybody know of a way to configure Sway so that it defaults to opening new windows in "floating" mode instead of tiling? I can't stand tiling.

Comment

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post
      Does anybody know of a way to configure Sway so that it defaults to opening new windows in "floating" mode instead of tiling? I can't stand tiling.
      I used to think the same. One of my work colleagues suggested awesomewm and i said 'I want to be in control of where the windows go, not the WM'. Now I wouldn't have it any other way, floating is madness, THIS IS SPARTA.

Anyway, it's full i3 compatibility and I don't know if sway has it's own. So google for i3 for the same, and magic like this appears:

# force floating for all new windows
      for_window [class="[.]*"] floating enable

On another note, great to see another release, such a shame about waycooler.

Comment

https://major.io/2019/02/08/automati...windows-in-i3/

Comment

I've worked from both solely a 13" laptop screen and 27" + 23" combo and very rarely used anything else than fullscreen windows. Tiling or floating, whatever, redundant for me.

The only tiling I would do was putting a terminal window and web browser in half-and-half, vertically-maximized state.

Comment

In that case why are you using a TILING desktop manager?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

In that case why are you using a TILING desktop manager?
              Wants to use Wayland but doesn't understand how to, chooses the wrong ticket to the wrong train and complains that nothing is well.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post

Wants to use Wayland but doesn't understand how to, chooses the wrong ticket to the wrong train and complains that nothing is well.
                More like he wanted to fly from New York to Paris but in fact boarded a train to Baltimore and now he's asking the locals where's the Eiffel Tower.

Comment

The very definition of Sway is "Tiling Window Manager". If you don't like tiling, you should consider something other than Sway.

Comment

sudo pacman -S wayfire

Comment

Working...
                    X