Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LABWC Is The Newest Stacking Wayland Compositor

Phoronix: LABWC Is The Newest Stacking Wayland Compositor

The LABWC Wayland compositor advertises itself as an Openbox alternative and just saw its inaugural release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Besides the name (does it stand for the LABoratory Water Closet?), I see from the video you can even open a terminal window and resize it! Absolutely amazing!

Jokes apart, what does this have to offer more than Sway?

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
      Besides the name (does it stand for the LABoratory Water Closet?), I see from the video you can even open a terminal window and resize it! Absolutely amazing!

Jokes apart, what does this have to offer more than Sway?
      Sway is a tiling windows manager. This is a stacking window manager.

For personal use I prefer i3/sway as well but since it's highly personalized you can't use it to put together boxes for other people to admin so openbox style light stacking window manager are necessary.

p.s. a good middle ground would be paperwm/cardboard style tiling with openbox style context menus. should be pretty intuitive for smartphone users.
      Last edited by c117152; 06 March 2021, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Very cool. Reminds me of my minimalist Fluxbox years.

Comment

Looks like there are a lot of openbox features that are listed as out-of-scope for this project. Oh well, it's still pretty neat.

Comment

A stacking compositor that does not have the ability to present all windows in a grid or list like Gnome (win key) or Plasma (ctrl + f8/f9/f10) is no better than Weston.

If I need a minimal stacking compositor, Weston would be way more suitable for the job than this.

Comment

I like it, it is proving concepts. I am seeing some cool stuff in the "lighter weight" Wayland window manager space. None are perfect, but I keep seeing bits and pieces that are getting proven out. I have had Sway installed for a while, but recently installed Wayfire as well to test it out. There are things I don't like, but there are also some pieces that I do like. Again, for me it is proving some things out.

I am not a coder (I can do some stuff, but not this kind of stuff - my skills are more web stuff and databases), so unfortunately I cannot create my own that I envision. But I am someone that works well in a technical capacity with those that also have certain skills. Maybe I'll get involved with a project at some point that appears to be in line with my thinking, doing documentation or web stuff, etc. There are ways to get involved other than the core coding who just don't have those kinds of coding chops!

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                If I need a minimal stacking compositor, Weston would be way more suitable for the job than this.
                This is based on wl_roots which is the closest thing to an libX11 that Wayland has.
                This means that it will benefit from any improvements to wl_roots. Whereas Weston will need these improvements implemented separately. The joys of fragmentation and code duplication.

This being similar to OpenBox is quite useful in that it is more lightweight (as far as Wayland compositors can go) and you can just maximize a terminal emulator and do much of your work in there. One advantage compared to sway is that badly behaved programs which do not run well in tiling window managers can bumble along like normal.

Either way, full screen terminal is the way, like in the 80's

Comment

One more thing to add, I know they are looking to stick to Openbox like Sway is sticking to i3, hence the XML configuration files for LABWC. And for Sway whatever i3 uses, but to me feels kind of like a mess. But I get what they are doing. I personally would prefer something like TOML or INI files, something cleaner and easier to read. Oh, and LABWC uses Openbox themes - 2003 called and wants it themes back Just a joke, I know nice themes are possible.

At some point, after proving this stuff out, someone will make something super nice that is a clean break from trying to emulate something old. A nice shell that is heavy enough to do some cool things, but clean and lightweight enough to get out of the way. Again, I'm liking it and we are starting to see Wayland really mature in lots of ways it seems.

Comment

Finally the perfect desktop for raspberry pi series?
                    Last edited by raun0; 24 March 2021, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X