Experimental Wayland Support For Wine Now Sees More Functionality Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
    Playing a fast pace rhythm game on Xorg? Forget it.
    This is nonsense. I'm very allergic to input lag and games pretty much run the same on Xorg vs. Windows...

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

I haven't seen anyone actually working on Wayland claiming it has better performance or even that it was a goal. Have you?
      Umm, yeah, constantly. It's basically a damn meme now.

Comment

Delusional.

Comment

You have fallen into the trap of thinking "improved performance == better FPS".
          This is about things like not piping around the picture 3 times before it hits the framebuffer, proper vblank timing, improved CPU usage, faster frame presenting. Those are all things that suck on X11 and are unfixable.
          Want to use a low power device like the Pinephone or Pinebook Pro with Xorg? Forget it, it sucks, its unusable while wayland desktops run fine.
          If you're right, then for once just demonstrate it... Please... Somebody, Anybody.... I dare you! I double dog dare you!!

EDIT: It's funny because I have a fairly high end machine and Gnome and Plasma wayland sessions both become a laggy unusable mess under moderate CPU load.

EDIT: Although Gnome has some multithreading work coming that will help with it soon. Still though, how many years has it been to get this far?
          Last edited by duby229; 19 February 2021, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Nice to hear. I played with original patches and they indeed showed some potential. Nice to know that work is still in progress and will improve. I hope they will quickly become ready to be included with at least Wine Staging.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

I haven't seen anyone actually working on Wayland claiming it has better performance or even that it was a goal. Have you?
              I'm not going to dig through years of forum posts to prove the point, but yes quite a few times around the time when Wayland was originally announced, with the rationalization that it was designed around how modern hardware worked and that X11 concepts like unredirection weren't necessary on Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                and that X11 concepts like unredirection weren't necessary on Wayland.
                This is true, though in return this doesn't make games run worse on Xorg (Or why would you want to play GPU demanding titles in windowed mode?). The current limitations of actual Wayland compositors however still do make the experience worse (except perhaps Sway, but it also has cursor lag and stutter issues). I'm curious how Gnome 40 will fare.

Comment

I already played around with the original commit state from the last announcement and it was already working very well, can't wait to see it being merged.

The people at collabora are just amazing.
                  If it gets accepted at all. The first response to the request for comment (from Zebediah at Codeweavers) doesn't look amazing.

Having a positive answer from Alexandre (viz. that a Wayland driver is
                  desirable) is one thing, and would be necessary for me to agree to
                  maintain the driver, but I'd also like to see the following before
                  accepting anything into wine-staging:

* The driver should be at least as feature-complete as the X11 driver.
                  Ideally, it should be *more* feature-complete. That includes not just
                  support at the protocol level, but actual implemented support across all
                  major window managers. There's no point accepting the driver into
                  wine-staging if it's not enabled by default, and I want to deal with as
                  few bug reports as I possibly can. This also helps prove that the driver
                  is not a bad idea.

* A promise from the developers to respond promptly to all bug reports
                  concerning window management (provided, I guess, that the same bug
                  reports don't occur with the X11 driver).

* A promise from the developers to deal with any difficult rebase work.
                  Rebasing is normally our responsibility as wine-staging maintainers, but
                  for large and difficult patch sets we do request that the author be on
                  hand to maintain their own work.

* A promise from the developers to try to upstream the driver after it
                  is introduced into wine-staging. I will *not* be upstreaming the driver
                  myself, and I do *not* intend to maintain it forever. Please do not
                  treat wine-staging as an end goal in itself—it is a testing ground and
                  nothing more.

Even with all that, I'm not thrilled about the driver. I recognize I may
                  not have a choice in the matter, and I recognize I'm not an X11
                  developer and thus lack significant context, but I don't like the way a
                  feature-incomplete protocol has been forcibly pushed on applications
                  with the apparent intent of quickly replacing and removing its predecessor.

ἔρρωσο,
                  Zebediah

Whilst I absolutely understand some of the concerns of maintaining such a driver, I always get the feeling most people at Codeweavers just don't like change or adapting the status quo much. The upstreaming of DXVK being refused (for mostly political reasons) as a prime example. I wonder if Collabora has a little more sway with Codeweavers.

Comment

I hope that the Wayland support gets merged soon to Wine. This is one of the important missing pieces to improve the Wayland experience.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Umm, yeah, constantly. It's basically a damn meme now.
                      If it was constantly done, it should be easy enough to provide a single reference. Where is it?

Comment

Working...
                      X