XWayland 21.1 Release Candidate Offers Split From The X.Org Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curfew View Post
    Is this some form of autism? It is a compatibility layer implemented as a Wayland client. Why do you think they are mutually exclusive?
    Sure. Is Xwayland also an X server for X clients then?

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
      It works fine with Xorg but not with wayland for me (on both Manjaro and Ubuntu and 2 different computers).
      Not sure about Manjaro but Ubuntu's Wayland implementation used to be fairly broken (20.04)... Should be in good shape for next release..

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        Honestly the DPI issues are a temporary thing whilst too many consumers are buying absurdly high resolution screens. This will resolve itself once people realize they can save a bit on battery power avoiding such things.
        IMO, it is unlikely that screen resolution decreases... Screens get cheaper quickly, and computation power is getting better and consumes less energy. Many like that they don't see any pixels, ever.. Still we will likely see display resolution stabilizing at some resolutions, e.g. 4K or 8K depending on display size. What screen size do you need to distinguish 8K and 16K?

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
          I think this has wrong and false assumptions. I also tend to think the first thing is likely to happen, and developers with X11 applications will be starting to validate their erffort against Xwayland, so that full xorg x11 will get bitrot. Not instantly, but steadily.

I think you're also right in your belief, that xwayland will become kind of a common demoninator, but it will never be the full xorg x11 packages: It won't drive any hardware, it will not render fonts, it will not be a compositor,... and I think this makes "just another Xserver" a wrong assumption.
          It most definitely will render fonts, or the whole Xwayland will be useless, without any text display. It will need both to render both old bitmap fonts for compatibility, as well as vector fonts like TrueType using XFT.
          Last time I checked libXft was a X11 application.
          GitHub is where people build software. More than 100 million people use GitHub to discover, fork, and contribute to over 420 million projects.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

Could you please provide the audited source reference (from a reputable research firm) for that number.....
            Here is one statistics that puts Wayland usage at 9%. And even that is way too high with respect to the general population. We are talking a niche of a niche here.
            So no mainstream company cares much about Wayland, much less making big researches about it.
            Statistics generated from the users of the GamingOnLinux website

I have several thousand Linux customers, nobody is using Wayland, and they will never be reported on a gaming site.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

That would be Gnome 3.36 but XOrg is still there :P
              As long as they refuse to support server side decorations, GNOME is not an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post
                As long as they refuse to support server side decorations, GNOME is not an option.
                So never..
                Btw why do you care? Why shouldn't all decorations should come from the same place?

Comment

Originally posted by Shiba View Post

It's not really big blocker. It's not like SSD is only option for every compositor. xdg-decoration is not mandatory after all.
                  Last edited by dragon321; 18 February 2021, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    EDIT: Almost -all- Linux applications are running on xwayland when in a Wayland session. There are only a handful of exceptions and most of those handful are buggy as hell. Hence the -entire- reason why 94% of all linux users are still on xorg...
                    Well I don't know where you live, but right now, apart for the whole GNOME desktop, Firefox and Thunderbird are running natively on Wayland. So does every GTK3+ / Qt5+ app I have installed and use - Genius, Cherrytree, Inkscape, Audacity, Evolution, Pitivi, Shotwell, Rhythmbox, Wireshark, Libre Office, Eclipse, virt-manager etc etc etc. Many Java-based apps do too. GIMP and VLC are coming along in their next releases. In fact the only apps that do NOT work in pure wayland right now or will likely not get there before the end of the year are legacy apps (xedit, xeyes... lol), all the electron-based stuff, blender and steam.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
                      So never..
                      Btw why do you care? Why shouldn't all decorations should come from the same place?
                      Not the original poster, but making sure all the decorations come from the same place is exactly the reason I want SSD. I don't want Qt, GTK+, SDL, etc. to have to reinvent the fancy functions I currently enjoy in my customized KWin windeco and its context menus.

I'm always reminded of this screenshot: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comme...decoration_is/

The GNOME people can argue their case after libdecoration is production-ready and has gained sufficient buy-in.

(Plus, SSD gives a desktop the ability to have trusted chrome elements on each window, which you'd think would fit with the "Security!" arguments for why Wayland is the way it is.)
                      Last edited by ssokolow; 18 February 2021, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X