X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curfew
    replied
    Originally posted by blacknova View Post
    Still, even with Gnome 3.38 Wayland have some annoying issues. Not critical but annoying as hell - I've multi-monitor setup - two displays with equal resolution and size, some applications tend to change size and/or jump from secondary display to main every time I lock and then unlock session.
    Seems to happen on a single display too. Sometimes I realize all my apps have been packed into the first vdesk whereas I always keep them spread over two to four vdesks.

Leave a comment:

• blacknova
    replied
    Still, even with Gnome 3.38 Wayland have some annoying issues. Not critical but annoying as hell - I've multi-monitor setup - two displays with equal resolution and size, some applications tend to change size and/or jump from secondary display to main every time I lock and then unlock session. Namely this happen with Firefox and Gnome Terminal. That might be not exactly Wayland compositor issue, but since it happens only with Wayland session I still point finger at it.

Leave a comment:

• curfew
    replied
    Originally posted by mppix View Post
    PS. Xwayland is not a client, its a compatibility layer
    Is this some form of autism? It is a compatibility layer implemented as a Wayland client. Why do you think they are mutually exclusive?

Leave a comment:

• mppix
    replied
    Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Xwayland is a Wayland client application. So its not Compositor. Thing to remember as gamescope from valve shows and the Weston reference compositor shows. Is that a Wayland compositor can in fact be a X11 application as well. So if Xwayland was a full blown wayland compositor it would be possible for it to run directly on top of X11 bare metal as well but Xwayland is not its only a Wayland client application.

Being a compositor is different to being a client application. Compositor has to have all your hardware interface library bits and those open up some really wacky running locations.
    Dude, why are you lecturing? Also, you may want to address the person who brought the idea forward.

edit:removed not well articulated statement
    Last edited by mppix; 18 February 2021, 10:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• curfew
    replied
    Originally posted by AmericanLocomotive View Post
    Pardon me if I'm misunderstanding things (as the Linux GUI/Graphics stack still baffles me for the most part): Is this article really saying that x.org - something used by nearly all distributions, has no one actively developing/working on it? How is that even possible?
    Well what is there to develop? Much of the stuff that needs active maintenance have been split off Xorg a long time ago so there is not much need for even maintenance releases that would update contributed bits. I guess the only reason for a new version would be breakage in some of the libraries that it uses.

Leave a comment:

• curfew
    replied
    The X window system was developed in the 80s and 90s. However similar to VNC, its governing bodies are defunct and the protocol cannot be changed anymore. Any change would result in a non-conformant implementation.
    Interoperability matters only when there are multiple servers to talk to. With X there is only X.org Server left standing, so it can do whatever it wants, really. The procol has been changed, *erm*, "extended" many times over recent years by modules such as DRI3.
    Last edited by curfew; 18 February 2021, 12:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• timrichardson
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

It very likely is going to be implemented as a compositor (due to the Wayland architecture, you have to implement an entire compositor to do anything). But either way, it will ultimately be an Xserver. Basically just a more stripped down re-implementation of Xorg. I personally am fine with that.

Sure, they might screw it up, but it probably still wont be any more annoying than Xsun to deal with.
    If it can't do mixed-dpi properly, no one will take this seriously. The wayland protocol solves two big problems for desktop users: security, and mixed DPI. Over time, more Linux desktops will confront or adopt mixed DPI situations. As for security, X should send shivers down your spine.

Leave a comment:

• CommunityMember
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Hence the -entire- reason why 94% of all linux users are still on xorg...
    Could you please provide the audited source reference (from a reputable research firm) for that number.....

Leave a comment:

• curfew
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Yeah, plus the other dozens of scenarios that don't work anymore. That's not a misunderstanding, that's a fact.
    Misunderstanding is when you expect something else that contradicts the facts.

Leave a comment:

• curfew
    replied
    Xwayland runs on top of Wayland. Therefore, a Xwayland based Xserver is a Wayland compositor.....
    Is a text editor running on Wayland a compositor? No.

My understanding is that apps draw themselves inside Xwayland but after that Xwayland itself delegates the actual rendering to the compositor it's attached to. In other words Xwayland is sort of a virtual screen but doesn't manage outputting to the real display.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X