Taiwins Wayland Compositor Switches From WLROOTS To Its Own Library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    I bet this was done because the developer of WlRoots refused to support NVIDIA...
    "Libtaiwins is another alternative to libweston and wlroots, but GPL licensed."

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
      Sigh.. another wayland compositor. Let's invent the wheel, shall we?
      Hmm, interesting point of view. As for me, I'm still waiting for a simple window manager like setup. Currently running wayfire in a pretty stripped down setup without all the effects.
      As far as I'm concerned, there aren't enough compositors.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

I doubt it. Who cares about Nvidia these days?
        More than 75% of actual gamers in the world for instance (whose number I guess is at least ten times higher than all the Linux desktop users in the world combined). Does the crown fit really your head?

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

More than 75% of actual gamers in the world for instance
          This is about Linux, and you know the trend. Nvidia is done for. So go back to your blob slumber.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

"Libtaiwins is another alternative to libweston and wlroots, but GPL licensed."
            I hope GPL isn't the only reason. Weston and Wlroots are MIT licensed, which are GPL compatible. You can simply fork them and change the license to GPL. Maybe he thought about contributing to wlroots but doesn't like MIT and knew a GPL fork would die anyways. So he wrote his own to die anyways. ("Apparently I am shamelessly advertising Taiwins here for potential interested users and developers. But I guess I didn't do a very good job last time since I am the only developer now. As one man, I think it is as much as I can push the project right now.")

Comment

More than 75% of actual gamers in the world for instance (whose number I guess is at least ten times higher than all the Linux desktop users in the world combined). Does the crown fit really your head?

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/
              Most of hose guys don't give an f about linux, so their opinions on linux is irrelevant. Some of those guys have real issues that prevent them from using linux (for example, games and nvidia do not support linux), but usually their issues are caused by third parties, not linux.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

I doubt it. Who cares about Nvidia these days?
                The author of the project and me apparently. And you can keep your self righteous sanctimony to yourself. Don't like it, don't use it. Otherwise stop trying to burn other people's books.

Comment

Personally I am starting to see some interesting things. I don't mind Gnome, but honestly it is overkill for what I am looking for in a Linux desktop (meaning what I want to do in Linux, which is run apps but also CLI/terminal heavy.) Again, for my needs.

We are starting to see some lightweight shells that can do both tiling and floating (e.g. Taiwins!) and keeps things simple, yet with good design could be so cool. Then if there were some scripts or something or easy instructions to get the basic low-level plumbing going (PipeWire, etc.) then who needs Gnome! At least I don't, more heavy than I need.

Anyway, I want to see more options between a full on DE and super basic tiling manager type of thing. I found this link earlier today, kind of interesting:

https://www.slant.co/topics/11023/~wayland-compositors
                  Last edited by ehansin; 31 January 2021, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
                    Sigh.. another wayland compositor. Let's invent the wheel, shall we?
                    An oval not necessarily is also a circle.

Comment

Sigh, 12 years in, we are still talking about the core protocol/graphics features ... Might have to do something with how the hole thing was misdesigned in the first place.
                      Meanwhile almost 9 years after Windows 8 release still lots of core Windows applications is not using new API and uses different styles or icons breaking consistency.

Comment

Working...
                      X