Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XWayland 21.1 Planned For Release In Mid-March

Phoronix: XWayland 21.1 Planned For Release In Mid-March

Plans are moving forward for providing standalone XWayland packages that would ship the latest XWayland code for allowing X11 clients within Wayland environments, separate from X.Org Server releases as has been the bundling case to date...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wayland works really well on Fedora 33 already and XWayland is also working very nicely.
    This is great news.
    We just need Nvidia to get their shit together. (cmon Nvidia)

Comment

X, you served us well for so many years but it is time to say goodbye. I will never forget your charming inability to render one single frame in time to vblank, causing driver side triple buffering to to be the standard just so the linux desktop does not look like a giant embarrassment.
      Your openness, sharing keyboard and mouse inputs with every client of you. And especially how you never said no when a client wanted to record the screen.
      You will never be forgotten and don't worry, you will live on as a Wayland Client so that even the oldest legacy software will still run in 40 years from now.

Comment

Good news. This makes me optimistic...

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          Bye-bye X 👋
          X11 will be with us for decades probably, through XWayland.
          So it is good that it is more optimized with this new feature.

Comment

Hopefully they will include HiDPI support, so I can finally switch over.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
              Bye-bye X 👋
              X isn't gone and will stay around for a lot longer. But I guess you also said "bye-bye x86" when 64-bit was stable enough? And look at it now: x86 still isn't gone.

Comment

I wonder if the upcoming Ubuntu release will use this, especially considering the switch to Wayland by default.

Comment

I have always ridden the bleeding edge of Fedora but I think I am going to sit 34 out and give it a look again for 35. I'm not that worried about existing bugs. I don't care about new hardware as you can't buy any. I tried the XWayland branch that Michael posted about a couple of months ago and it was just to feature incomplete for my needs. Maybe by 35 most of what I need will be able to use Wayland directly with out the Xwayland wedge.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                    X isn't gone and will stay around for a lot longer.

But I guess you also said "bye-bye x86" when 64-bit was stable enough? And look at it now: x86 still isn't gone.[/QUOTE]

x86 is a architecture pioneered by the .

64-bit is a bus width, x86 gained 64 Bit support with the x86_64 extension. Before that, it was already once extended to 32 bit from its original 16 bit width.

And what the hell does stable enough mean in that context.

Comment

Working...
                    X