No announcement yet.

Wayland 1.19 Released With Small Protocol Updates, Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The funny thing is, you can see the people that just reads the headlines and those that read up on things, and even those that does not get what is what only buzzwords "thus-I-need-to-give-my-two-pieces". Opinions are great, go at it all you want but without context/merit/solid/constructive argument, well.. it will sound stupid.

Comment

birdie
      tildearrow

As a shitty developer myself, I completely support the attitude of the Wayland (and Gnome) fanpeople. It works on my machine, therefore it works.

@Everybody else
      Forgive me for my sarcasm
      It's just that if it works for many people does not mean that it works for most of the people.
      It is no coincidence that the 2 major desktop distributions still do not use it by default.

Yes, Nvidia sucks. Nobody disputes that.
      Still they make the best gpus on the market. The average user will likely use Windows rather than ditch Nvidia.
      That's because for most people use the pc as a tool for a job. If Linux is not up to the task they ditch Linux, not the task.

Comment

More interested to Wayland Color Management
        https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/swick...olor-pipelined

Comment

Code:
          for [wayland, nvidia, x11, amd, opensourcedriver, mesa] in headline
           print("x11 is great")
           print("nvidia just works")
           if ($USER == birdie)
            print("Windows is better anyway")
           endif
           print("wayland is not stable")
           print("never amd again")
           print("wayland is not a compositor")
           print("AMD has superb OS Driver")
           print("blob")
           print("Multimonitor support broken")
           print("tear free")
           print("what mesa and kernel version ?")
           print((quote("F*** you Nvidia","Linus Torvalds", htmlLink))
           print("no freesync")
          end
          Last edited by CochainComplex; 28 January 2021, 06:01 AM.

Comment

All I keep hearing is compositor needs to implement this and that and all the same crap over and over again. Again, every successful DE or OS that ever existed has implemented rich APIs which allows developers to use it/code for it with as few lines of code as possible. Wayland has been implemented/drafted such a way all compositors need to have literally tens of thousands of lines of code (re)implementing the same features which other sane DE/OSes implement out of the box as APIs. Fuck this madness, sorry.

Wayland should have come either with some sort of default compositor which implements or provides APIs for:

1) Screen casting/recording
            2) Drag-n-drop
            3) Task panel
            4) Systray
            5) Basic window management (at least minimizing/maximizing/moving)
            6) Virtual desktops
            7) And other desktop features I cannot immediately recall.

or just not exist in the first place.

And I'm not even talking about accelerated graphics/text drawing APIs which again are provided by Windows, MacOS, Android, iOS and even a hobbyist(!) project Haiku out of the box.

Again, I hate both Gnome and KDE 5 vehemently (the only working/rich DEs for Wayland so far). Both environments are brain-damaged in one way or another and both have decided that they must be universal which means they must work on mobile and desktop, only they put mobile first and copied the absolute worst features of Windows 8 UI (flat, undiscoverable UI), Windows 10 (tons of white space, low contrast UI) and new MacOS releases (grey low-contrast icons). My eyes are bleeding when I see them in action. I don't want to discover UI features. I don't want to painfully discern 20 grey small icons which all look the same. Are we back in the age of 3bit palettes or what?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              All I keep hearing is compositor needs to implement this and that and all the same crap over and over again. Again, every successful DE or OS that ever existed has implemented rich APIs which allows developers to use it/code for it with as few lines of code as possible. Wayland has been implemented/drafted such a way all compositors need to have literally tens of thousands of lines of code (re)implementing the same features which other sane DE/OSes implement out of the box as APIs. Fuck this madness, sorry.

Wayland should have come either with some sort of default compositor which implements or provides APIs for:

2) Drag-n-drop
              3) Task panel
              4) Systray
              6) Virtual desktops

or just not exist in the first place.

And I'm not even talking about accelerated graphics/text drawing APIs which again are provided by Windows, MacOS, Android, iOS and even a hobbyist(!) project Haiku out of the box.

Again, I hate both Gnome and KDE 5 vehemently (the only working/rich DEs for Wayland so far). Both environments are brain-damaged in one way or another and both have decided that they must be universal which means they must work on mobile and desktop, only they put mobile first and copied the absolute worst features of Windows 8 UI (flat, undiscoverable UI), Windows 10 (tons of white space, low contrast UI) and new MacOS releases (grey low-contrast icons). My eyes are bleeding when I see them in action. I don't want to discover UI features. I don't want to painfully discern 20 grey small icons which all look the same. Are we back in the age of 3bit palettes or what?
              All these DEs/OSes implement ONE desktop manager/window manager/compositor and no provision is made to support any alternative ones at all. In Wayland the compositor is the entire windowing system (think X server + compositor + window manager). For some reason people seem to believe that implementing it "should" be easy, quick and within reach of a single hobbyist doing it in his spare time. They say that many things shoud somehow be provider "by Wayland" while they don't understand that there is no piece of software anywhere called "wayland", just like there is no program called "TCP/IP".

GNOME/Mutter is "THE" wayland compositor. It has long had all those features. But unlike everything including Haiku, with Wayland, for some reason dozens of people insist on implementing yet-another half assed hobby compositor and then they whine because the system is complex and they need to write a lot of code for it to do what it should.

Comment

Wayland has been implemented/drafted such a way all compositors need to have literally tens of thousands of lines of code (re)implementing the same features which other sane DE/OSes implement out of the box as APIs.
                BS, the core code is shared in libwayland, there is also weston as a clean implementation. That mess is only caused by desktop repurposing their existing X11 compositor into a wayland display server what of course results in more work.

Then of course there is wlroots that most of the smaller wayland desktops use as its base.

2) Drag-n-drop
                3) Task panel
                4) Systray
                6) Virtual desktops
                Weston

That is a Toolkit job on all of those platforms, no one uses X11 text drawing calls or even its 2D software drawing capabilities since the early 90s. And by now, all major toolkits on Linux are accelerated.

I hate both Gnome and KDE 5 vehemently (the only working/rich DEs for Wayland so far). Both environments are brain-damaged in one way or another and both have decided that they must be universal which means they must work on mobile and desktop, only they put mobile first and copied the absolute worst features of Windows 8 UI (flat, undiscoverable UI), Windows 10 (tons of white space, low contrast UI) and new MacOS releases (grey low-contrast icons). My eyes are bleeding when I see them in action. I don't want to discover UI features. I don't want to painfully discern 20 grey small icons which all look the same. Are we back in the age of 3bit palettes or what?
                You hate everything, nothing new.

Comment

Lets go though this list.
                  2) Drag-n-drop
                  3) Task panel
                  4) Systray
                  6) Virtual desktops
                  1 Screen casting/recording there is a question if that should in wayland at all because using libdrm you can directly screen capture as long as you have high enough privilege. So this does not need to be part of Wayland compositor at all so its a optional feature. There should more more direct libdrm screen capture solutions. Remember direct libdrm capture can be used generically against TTY, X11 and Wayland compositors.

2 Drag-n-drop is implemented in Wayland protocol. There is a issue of X11 drag and drop compatibility but that is a different stack of hell completely. Issue with wayland and drag and drop is when you do a drag and drop between Xwayland client and a Wayland application and the reverse. Wayland application to Wayland application drag-n-drop works perfectly fine. There are only 8 different implementations of drag and drop inside X11 wayland protocol has 1. There is a lack of nice bridge from wayland 1 form of drag-n-drop to X11 8 different forms.

3-6 not every X11 windows manager/DE implements so are in fact optional features.

3 implementing a task panel does not need wayland protocol support. Putting cgroups around all applications to get sane map of what owns is path gnome and kde are going down for this.

4 is not to be in the wayland protocol and it makes absolutely no sense to be in the Wayland protocol due to what already exists and would be just reinventing wheel for no good reason. https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Spe...sNotifierItem/ Yes StatusNotifierItem that uses DBUS. replaces the old X11 Systemtray interface that works fine with wayland solutions as well. The old X11 Systemtray interface had a habit of leaving behind icons after applications crashed and worst connecting wrong icon to wrong application at times. Basically X11 implementation of systray is totally bust and has been superseded by something genetic using dbus that works with Wayland and X11 desktop solutions.

5 You need more details what you mean because even weston has this one.

6 Virtual desktops again does not need wayland protocol support. X11 protocol does not in fact support virtual desktop there is a horrible hack in windows manager that makes them exist.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                    GNOME/Mutter is "THE" wayland compositor.
                    I'd rather go back to Windows than use that atrocity.

Comment

but, ... does it finally support global hotkeys yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0l817ymu-s

Comment

Working...
                      X