replied
    More interested to Wayland Color Management
    https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/swick...olor-pipelined

Leave a comment:

• JackLilhammers
    replied
    birdie
    tildearrow

As a shitty developer myself, I completely support the attitude of the Wayland (and Gnome) fanpeople. It works on my machine, therefore it works.

@Everybody else
    Forgive me for my sarcasm
    It's just that if it works for many people does not mean that it works for most of the people.
    It is no coincidence that the 2 major desktop distributions still do not use it by default.

Yes, Nvidia sucks. Nobody disputes that.
    Still they make the best gpus on the market. The average user will likely use Windows rather than ditch Nvidia.
    That's because for most people use the pc as a tool for a job. If Linux is not up to the task they ditch Linux, not the task.

Leave a comment:

• Sethox
    replied
    The funny thing is, you can see the people that just reads the headlines and those that read up on things, and even those that does not get what is what only buzzwords "thus-I-need-to-give-my-two-pieces". Opinions are great, go at it all you want but without context/merit/solid/constructive argument, well.. it will sound stupid.

Leave a comment:

• Alexmitter
    replied
    Originally posted by gfunk View Post
    Surely there is thousands of bugs and features that need to be implemented for Wayland? like screen casting/recording
    Screen recording/casting is implemented since the beginning. OBS and all the usual browsers support it for a long time by now. In fact, if you use Gnome, then you can enjoy DMA-Buf based screen recording with nearly zero CPU usage but only on wayland of course.

Also, Wayland is a protocol specification, compositors need to implement it.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    And so what? I have to write my recording/casting code 10 times now? One time for each compositor?
    This is no in fact. You only need to support two methods.

Method 1) Most wayland compositors support xdg-desktop-portal for screen recording and capture that then can use pipewire and this can use accelerated encoding does not need major privilege assigned to application to work.
    Method 2) Direct use libdrm
    I was having performance issues when streaming livecoding heavy GLSL raymarching and pathtracing shaders, so instead of optimizing my shaders I read about libdrm, KMS, DMA-BUF and EGL. As a result, I made a very experimental zero-copy screen capture OBS plugin for Linux based on DMA-BUF fds and...

Different parties have done method 2 this requires you application have something with cap_sys_admin privilege and this can screen capture anything on Linux.

Support Method 2 and you can screen capture all Wayland/X11/Terminal... outputs.

So not 10 different methods or One type per compositor. You only need 2 methods to screen capture everything. The reality is if you did not support direct libdrm screen capture anyhow you could not capture everything already.

And where are the permission-based global key listening features? Like to trigger hotkeys?

Good question does that really need to be part of wayland or should it be done like Hawck here. Hawck here grabs the keyboard/device you want to macro exclusively then makes a new fake input device for wayland/X11/console to use instead.

Yes Hawck is example of something like method 2 in the first section. Different way to skin cat.

Or should this be done as part of accessibility? There is kind of a nice on going arguement how this should be done.

Remember not every user need applications using global hotkeys. The users who don't use any applications that need global hotkeys having global hotkeys support is a security risk.

Global key listening feature is not a every user need feature maybe this should require installing and activating something like Hawck to have it.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied

That's the problem. It's compositor specific. Clearly crafted from the start to be by GNOME for GNOME.
    Of course it is. Wayland is not software, it's a protocol specification document. If you want one particular implementation of Wayland to have some feature, it needs to implement it.

It wasn't really different under X11 actually, except that 1) for the past 15 years or so there has only been one true implementation of X11, Xorg, although back in the early days of Linux there were other ones as well (MetroX etc.) Since no-one regrets those times, I don't really see why some people insist on bringing in their own, fragment-happy implementations of Wayland compositors either. And 2) the fact that such tools ran under X11 as simple clients was due to X11's built-in security hole that allowed anyone to access and capture any window including the root window (i.e. the entire screen). Wayland fixes that particular design flaw, which is a Good Thing.

Leave a comment:

• Baguy
    replied

That's the problem. It's compositor specific. Clearly crafted from the start to be by GNOME for GNOME.
    OBS will work with Pipewire, which Plasma Wayland integrates with as the standard.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by jacob View Post

You don't need to write any code, it's already done. Here is but one among several:

gnome

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    But it's lean and fast and tear-free!
    I don't use a Wayland compositor yet... (and I don't plan to, at least not until things really improve)
    Guess what? Even under Wayland I get stuttering.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Oh yeah? Ever heard of rich APIs, no code duplication which Wayland basically forces on developers which is why we have basically just two DEs which support it fully, eg Gnome and KDE while others like IceWM has rejected to support this craziness?
    Well GNOME supports it already. You can't blame the upsteam developers that they don't bend backwards to accommodate every random Joe's me-too hobby project compositor. Even if they wasted time supporting IceWM at the expense of more urgent matters, all three users of EvenMoreObscureWM would immediately start whining. Nobody forces you at gun point to use GNOME/Mutter, but at the same time, requiring the other developers to do the work needed to implement the required features themselves seems like a reasonable proposition. What's next, blaming GCC devs that the C++20 consteval support introduced in GCC 11 doesn't magically work out of the box in my very own toy compiler ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X