X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mppix
    replied
    Originally posted by royce View Post
    Wayland does not lock out anything. It's not a program. Nvidia decided to go a different path with eglstreams and now developers have to maintain one code path to make their compositors work with nvidia, and another to work with all the other vendors (intel and amd) which use generic kernel based interfaces. Unsurprisingly many developers aren't rushing to support elgstreams.
    As of now, EGLstreams has problems that cannot be solved by developers outside Nvidia. Hence, wayland desktops on Nvidia have limitations.
    We will see if Nvidia cares enough to expand EGLstreams. However based on their recent activity on enabling "Wayland on Vulkan," they may be betting on that one..

Leave a comment:

• mppix
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

That's the problem. It's compositor specific. Clearly crafted from the start to be by GNOME for GNOME.
    Actually no, there is not need for compositor-specific implementations.
    However yes, it is (and should be) a independent project: xdgportal (often combined with pipewire) is being adopted almost universally including for use with flatpak.

What we are actually missing is a remote desktop protocol beyond vnc.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by f0rmat View Post
    You forgot to add:..
    since it is opensource everyone can contribute I have accepted your merge request

Code:
    for [wayland, nvidia, x11, amd, opensourcedriver, mesa] in headline
     print("x11 is great")
     print("nvidia just works")
     if ($USER == birdie)
      print("Windows is better anyway")
     endif
     print("wayland is not stable")
     print("never amd again")
     print("wayland is not a compositor")
     print("AMD has superb OS Driver")
     print("blob")
     print("Multimonitor support broken")
     print("tear free")
     print("what mesa and kernel version ?")
     print((quote("F*** you Nvidia","Linus Torvalds", htmlLink))
     print("no freesync")
     print("how come they will not support my esoteric use case?")
     print("why don't you contribute?")
     print("you are a dumb" profane_variable_describing_some_bodily_function_o r_the_rectum)
    end

Leave a comment:

• Yttrium
    replied
    Dont take the bait. Some criticisms against wayland-based distribtions and software do have merit. Reinventing the wheel twice is not fun, Developers are notoriously bad at universal API's or protocols. Partly because everyone of them has their own unique vision which is what makes linux unique

Leave a comment:

• f0rmat
    replied
    Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
    Code:
    for [wayland, nvidia, x11, amd, opensourcedriver, mesa] in headline
    print("x11 is great")
    print("nvidia just works")
    if ($USER == birdie)
    print("Windows is better anyway")
    endif
    print("wayland is not stable")
    print("never amd again")
    print("wayland is not a compositor")
    print("AMD has superb OS Driver")
    print("blob")
    print("Multimonitor support broken")
    print("tear free")
    print("what mesa and kernel version ?")
    print((quote("F*** you Nvidia","Linus Torvalds", htmlLink))
    print("no freesync")
    end
    You forgot to add:

Code:
    print("how come they will not support my esoteric use case?")
    print("why don't you contribute?")
    print("you are a dumb" profane_variable_describing_some_bodily_function_or_the_rectum)
    Last edited by f0rmat; 28 January 2021, 11:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• deve
    replied
    After all these years I still have no reason to switch to wayland. Xorg works fine for me and has all features that I need. Using wayland compositors in current state is a regression for me. Even Gnome doesn't support server-side decorations, so you can't easily move or minimize some windows. Also some reasonable window managers/DEs like Openbox or XFCE don't have wayland support.

And don't tell me that wayland is just a protocol and all DEs, libraries like SDL2, applications have to reinvent the wheel and write a lot of code to support some basic features. Why i.e. it's not possible to create official "libdecoration" library, so that all application could easily use it instead of creating their own "ugly but functional" decorations? Why as an application developer should I care about stupid decorations at all?

Leave a comment:

• Nth_man
    replied
    Originally posted by JackLilhammers
    > > Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
    > > Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    [...]
    Another place where Alexmitter and 144Hz write one after the other. Coincidence?
    - https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...org-server-git
    - https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...iple-buffering
    - https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...91#post1220191
    - https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...10#post1229510
    - https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...90#post1234890
    Last edited by Nth_man; 28 January 2021, 02:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mangeek
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Even under Wayland I get stuttering.
    Stuttering and tearing are different things. Stuttering is probably CPU-bound.

I run Wayland on a Raspberry Pi 4, and it 'stutters' when it's thinking hard (which is most of the time, because... it's a $50 board), but it doesn't 'tear'.

Leave a comment:

• Alexmitter
    replied
    Originally posted by paradroid View Post
    So Wayland is still half baked
    BS

locks out nvidia for religious reasons
    Nothing here locks Nvidia out. Rather nvidia choose to not implement GBM, a system they were invited to create together with the other vendors, and instead implemented their own code path via EGLStreams. Nothing in this world prevents Nvidia from also implementing GBM.

and lacks tons of features?
    Like?

And the only pro argument is better security(which is not proven).
    A simple user level permissions program can record you whole screen, track all keypresses of you no matter if that window is in focus or not, read whatever you have in your clipboard, read what you drag and drop, input whatever it likes in mouse and keyboard movements. A single X client can do whatever it wants, no permissions needed for anything. Those are all well known issues, proven, already exploited, unfixable. Wayland has non of those issues, it is secure by design.

Leave a comment:

• royce
    replied
    locks out nvidia for religious reasons
    Wayland does not lock out anything. It's not a program. Nvidia decided to go a different path with eglstreams and now developers have to maintain one code path to make their compositors work with nvidia, and another to work with all the other vendors (intel and amd) which use generic kernel based interfaces. Unsurprisingly many developers aren't rushing to support elgstreams.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X