• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• f0rmat
    replied
    Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
    this!
    I now have had four from the rack...I love German beer! Especially when my corporate responsibilities on business trips end.

For those of you who do not know, a rack is 20 half liter bottles (around 18 ounces for you all all imperial units). In Germany, I can get some high quality racks for less than 20 euros - in other words, 10 liters (or about 2.25 gallons) for less than $22 USD. The vast amjority of the time, less than 20 USD. In Germany, soft drinks and bottled wasser (water) cost more than bier - a great place to live.

If you are in the Bundesrepublick Deutschland, PM me with a place wherever you want and I will meet you (corporate world willing) and I will buy you a bier (or zwei or drei - depending on how far I am from the hotel) if I happen to be anywhere near that that place. Consider it a German redneck to an American redneck - you Rhineland-Pfaltz redneck.

Leave a comment:

• ciupenhauer
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

No, no, no, that's impossible. Wayland is bug-free and the best thing since sliced bread, so stuttering is impossible. I mean... right, Wayland fans?

Joking aside, while I can't remember any stuttering, I also feel like Wayland isn't exactly smooth yet.
    Which wayland isn't exactly smooth yet? The Pink one or the yellow one?
    Wayland is just an idea, like the Avengers. You mean Gnome Wayland isn't exactly smooth maybe? Because that's 100% gnome's fault, and a well known issue that's still being worked on, has nothing to do with wayland but Shell's frame scheduler

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by f0rmat View Post
    rack of helles and celebrate.
    this!

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by jacob View Post
    GNOME/Mutter is "THE" wayland compositor.
    Nope, it has never been, and it's not suitable for all the small projects which do not want to bring Gnome dependencies.

IOW you've proven me right, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• mkrupcale
    replied
    Originally posted by deve View Post
    Why i.e. it's not possible to create official "libdecoration" library, so that all application could easily use it instead of creating their own "ugly but functional" decorations? Why as an application developer should I care about stupid decorations at all?
    Funny you should mention that. Looks like it is possible to do just that[1].

[1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/jadahl/libdecoration

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Guess what? Even under Wayland I get stuttering.
    No, no, no, that's impossible. Wayland is bug-free and the best thing since sliced bread, so stuttering is impossible. I mean... right, Wayland fans?

Joking aside, while I can't remember any stuttering, I also feel like Wayland isn't exactly smooth yet.

Leave a comment:

• f0rmat
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

So, it works for you (and your use case).

But it does not mean it will work for other people.
    You are absolutely right. And that is the crux to the whole linux ecosphere. Everyone is free to choose what works for their use case and everyone is free to complain about what does not work for their use case and everyone is free to contribute and everyone is free to have their contribution accepted or rejected, and everyone (like what I try to do) is free to send bug reports and provide constructive feedback and polite recommendations if they do not have the skills to program in c or c++ or whatever the language is that is needed to fix the problem that the user finds.

I can spell c and c++ (if I am able to consult my dictionary - FORTRAN was my specialty), but I am certainly not going to look a gift horse in the mouth and whine and b**ch because I cannot get something that is unique to me. Do I wish things were more suitable for me? Yes. And I going to gripe and whine? No. Am I contributing? Yes, but only by aggressively filing bug reports because I have neither the skill or time to learn the programming skills required.

On another note, I think the favorite wine of many linux users is "I want the devs to cater to my use case!" It is always a recent vintage, but there are some old ones out there. "I have a TRS-80, why don't the devs build a kernel for it?"

Your acerbic insight is always appreciated - at least by me.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
    As a shitty developer myself, I completely support the attitude of the Wayland (and Gnome) fanpeople. It works on my machine, therefore it works.
    So, it works for you (and your use case).

But it does not mean it will work for other people.

Leave a comment:

• f0rmat
    replied
    Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

since it is opensource everyone can contribute I have accepted your merge request

Code:
    for [wayland, nvidia, x11, amd, opensourcedriver, mesa] in headline
    print("x11 is great")
    print("nvidia just works")
    if ($USER == birdie)
    print("Windows is better anyway")
    endif
    print("wayland is not stable")
    print("never amd again")
    print("wayland is not a compositor")
    print("AMD has superb OS Driver")
    print("blob")
    print("Multimonitor support broken")
    print("tear free")
    print("what mesa and kernel version ?")
    print((quote("F*** you Nvidia","Linus Torvalds", htmlLink))
    print("no freesync")
    print("how come they will not support my esoteric use case?")
    print("why don't you contribute?")
    print("you are a dumb" profane_variable_describing_some_bodily_function_o r_the_rectum)
    end

Thank you, thank you!!! My first merge request to git has been accepted!!!!! Time to get a rack of helles and celebrate.

Leave a comment:

• mppix
    replied
    Originally posted by deve View Post
    After all these years I still have no reason to switch to wayland. Xorg works fine for me and has all features that I need. Using wayland compositors in current state is a regression for me. Even Gnome doesn't support server-side decorations, so you can't easily move or minimize some windows. Also some reasonable window managers/DEs like Openbox or XFCE don't have wayland support.

And don't tell me that wayland is just a protocol and all DEs, libraries like SDL2, applications have to reinvent the wheel and write a lot of code to support some basic features. Why i.e. it's not possible to create official "libdecoration" library, so that all application could easily use it instead of creating their own "ugly but functional" decorations? Why as an application developer should I care about stupid decorations at all?
    Do you speak about "wayland compositor" vs "wayland - the protocol"?
    Then, why not do it with the GUI toolkits? They define all the rest of the look-and-feel?
    Last edited by mppix; 28 January 2021, 12:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X