X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sarmad
    replied
    Originally posted by bofh80
    while, that's nice. n all. great work. kudos all around.
    however, would someone put me out of my misery and tell me WHY we need 3d for desktop?
    What's wrong with the fastest path, cpu? like we've been doing for years. (with or without buggy 2d accel).
    And i don't mean the software emulated compositor. . Unless you're going to tell me it's as fast and responsive as.
    Is it just the resolutions we use these days or what?
    (I don't care for stupid fancy effects, i'm looking for some technical reasons beyond eye candy)

Considering that most of you are using a composited desktop i expect a lot of considered responses.
    Not an expert on how compositors work, but I believe for years we've NOT been using the CPU. It's currently using OpenGL to render your windows, and with this they are just switching from OpenGL to Vulkan. Why we need to use the GPU instead of the CPU? So that you get smoother UI (even without fancy effects you still need the GPU for just normal usage; smoother scrolling for example), keep your CPU colder, keep your fan noise lower, save battery, and leave the CPU free to do more important things.

Leave a comment:

• iskra32
    replied
    Originally posted by bofh80
    while, that's nice. n all. great work. kudos all around.
    however, would someone put me out of my misery and tell me WHY we need 3d for desktop?
    What's wrong with the fastest path, cpu? like we've been doing for years. (with or without buggy 2d accel).
    And i don't mean the software emulated compositor. . Unless you're going to tell me it's as fast and responsive as.
    Is it just the resolutions we use these days or what?
    (I don't care for stupid fancy effects, i'm looking for some technical reasons beyond eye candy)

Considering that most of you are using a composited desktop i expect a lot of considered responses.
    A lot of it has to do with power consumption. Sure, maybe a barebones compositor can maintain 60fps, but don't expect it to run particularly efficiently or be able to have any kind of advanced featureset. And then as you open up more applications that'll slow it down even more. There are tricks that one can use to reduce input latency to something completely imperceptible on a GPU accelerated system

Leave a comment:

• Grinch
    replied
    Originally posted by polarathene View Post
    Soooo Sway is going to play nicely with nvidia GPUs via Vulkan support?
    AFAIK the people working on WLROOTS are also making Sway, so if WLROOTS adds support, it would be weird if Sway didn't.

Leave a comment:

• polarathene
    replied
    Soooo Sway is going to play nicely with nvidia GPUs via Vulkan support?

Leave a comment:

• mppix
    replied
    o la la... maybe we'll get a unified Wayland desktop framework with Nvidia blessing after all.

Leave a comment:

• NateHubbard
    replied
    I'd just like to congratulate Nvidia for their contribution.

Sounds weird saying that.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    So now they won't need GBM and EGLstreams anymore?

Leave a comment:

• rmfx
    replied
    LoL Nvidia got the extension approval work done because it was gonna be a Mesa extension if not.
    Sounds like a parent way to get the kids to do their homework.

Leave a comment:

• 2Eagle2
    replied
    That sounds like it will finally allow easier Wayland addoption in linux desktop.
    Big thanks also for making this extension as part of Vulkan official extension - Good job

Leave a comment:

• royce
    replied
    Some initial steps in wlroots too: https://github.com/swaywm/wlroots/pull/2648

Leave a comment:

Working...
X