Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan Wayland Compositors Are Nearing Reality

Phoronix: Vulkan Wayland Compositors Are Nearing Reality

One of the last pieces of the puzzle for supporting an entirely Vulkan-based Wayland compositor is coming together with a new extension that looks like it will be merged soon and there already being work pending against Sway/WLROOTS to make use of the Vulkan path...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ompositor-Near

That's so cool. I wonder if there could be a decent performance improvement. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know, but I have observed games perform much better with Vulkan.

The mali GPU in my pinephone won't be able to use this, but my upcoming L5 might 🙏

Comment

Love to see how emersion seems to work on small issues like this all over the place. Thanks a lot to everyone involved

Comment

"thus the Vulkan-powered Wayland compositors should ultimately work nice on NVIDIA hardware too"

Does this mean they can simply do a Vulkan-powered Wayland compositor and avoid all the EGLStream vs. GBM debate altogether?

Comment

Some initial steps in wlroots too: https://github.com/swaywm/wlroots/pull/2648

Comment

That sounds like it will finally allow easier Wayland addoption in linux desktop.
            Big thanks also for making this extension as part of Vulkan official extension - Good job

Comment

LoL Nvidia got the extension approval work done because it was gonna be a Mesa extension if not.
              Sounds like a parent way to get the kids to do their homework.

Comment

So now they won't need GBM and EGLstreams anymore?

Comment

I'd just like to congratulate Nvidia for their contribution.

Sounds weird saying that.

Comment

o la la... maybe we'll get a unified Wayland desktop framework with Nvidia blessing after all.

Comment

Working...
                    X