Wayland 1.19 Is Set To Come Soon As First Update In Nearly One Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
    I also ROFLed on "wayland completion". 50 commits per year. Not a surprise nobody wants to support it - it just looks abandoned without any activity. Especially when it is still missing features. What a mess...
    Wayland is a protocol. Not a software that needs a lot of updates. Software that needs updates are compositors who use Wayland. And they have a lot of updates.
    Wayland protocol gives a basis for work that is mature today, mature to the extent that it is possible to do everything with it.

It is up to the composers to integrate the functionalities underlying this protocol, and this is what wlroots, mutter (the composer of Gnome) etc. do.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post

I'm sorry but THAT is NOT my point of view.

For X we have an UNIVERSAL Tool (i.e. works with all X-compatible DEs) to do Custom Resolutions (XRANDR) witch is the way to be...i don't need and don't want to learn the way *every* single DE have to solve the issue....and that is assuming that each DE REALLY have a solution and/or is not some ARCHAIC solution forcing us to make *.bin files and a GAZILLION of other steps to finally get ONE SINGLE Custom resolution...not to mention when we actually need SEVERAL custom resolutions...

Then, this is not even the only issue with Wayland (although this issue itself is enough to make Wayland useful and adequate to me as an Ice Cube in Hell).
      Fine. Then just start to work and make a proposal. But since it isn't something that a general app should do, that doesn't belong to Wayland, so I think that you will have to go with a DBUS interface. Remember that you have to send your RFC to Freedesktop.org to be evaluated.

When you ended with that, please, comment it here. I'm curious to see your great solution.

Comment

I'm sorry but THAT is NOT my point of view.

For X we have an UNIVERSAL Tool (i.e. works with all X-compatible DEs) to do Custom Resolutions (XRANDR) witch is the way to be...i don't need and don't want to learn the way *every* single DE have to solve the issue....and that is assuming that each DE REALLY have a solution and/or is not some ARCHAIC solution forcing us to make *.bin files and a GAZILLION of other steps to finally get ONE SINGLE Custom resolution...not to mention when we actually need SEVERAL custom resolutions...

Then, this is not even the only issue with Wayland (although this issue itself is enough to make Wayland useful and adequate to me as an Ice Cube in Hell).
        Changing resolution is accomplished by using the settings panel of the DE/DM (supporting wayland)
        In Gnome 3 go to Settings -> Displays.
        There you can change:
        Orientation
        Resolution
        Refresh rate
        Scale

all according to the capabilities of your monitor.
        Similar in KDE.

If your DE/DM does not support wayland, use XRANDR (Xorg/X11 specific extension) as you will be using X11 anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Turbine View Post
          It's a shame is so unstable on nvidia using the open source driver. Even on the latest kernel. Even KDE is more stable now than a Gnome 3, Wayland desktop. And KDE is still far from stable. 🤷
          As a Nouveau user on a Wayland Gnome 3 desktop for the past three years and counting, I call BS on 'Gnome 3 is unstable'.

It's the only Wayland desktop environment that works perfectly fine on Nouveau. Plasma still locks up on Nouveau under Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinness View Post

Changing resolution is accomplished by using the settings panel of the DE/DM (supporting wayland)
            In Gnome 3 go to Settings -> Displays.
            There you can change:
            Orientation
            Resolution
            Refresh rate
            Scale

all according to the capabilities of your monitor.
            Similar in KDE.

If your DE/DM does not support wayland, use XRANDR (Xorg/X11 specific extension) as you will be using X11 anyway
            I DON'T want just change resolution to something that the Monitor officially already supports, i want to CREATE a CUSTOM Resolution, for what you are saying, THAT will NOT do it.

Ergo my previous comment about need to create a*.bin file (a customized forced EDID, actually, ) and edit a bunch of files ,etc. to make it work.

In all these Years NO ONE (even Wayland devs that knowing the ins and outs of Wayland could have provided such a tool even if its not itself part of Wayland,) managed to make a program like XRANDR that would do this is in a easy like in Wayland no matter so many users need this...

Anyway, AFAIK, as long as such thing doesn't exist, Wayland is not an option for me, EOD.

Comment

Originally posted by rastersoft View Post

Fine. Then just start to work and make a proposal. But since it isn't something that a general app should do, that doesn't belong to Wayland, so I think that you will have to go with a DBUS interface. Remember that you have to send your RFC to Freedesktop.org to be evaluated.

When you ended with that, please, comment it here. I'm curious to see your great solution.
              Ahhh yes, the (in)famous usual "do it yourself" slap in the face to shut up critics, OK then...

Comment

In all these Years NO ONE (even Wayland devs that knowing the ins and outs of Wayland could have provided such a tool even if its not itself part of Wayland,) managed to make a program like XRANDR that would do this is in a easy like in Wayland no matter so many users need this...
                Translation: Yo, Wayland developers!!!! I demand you to leave everything that you are doing and start working on my demands!!!! It is your duty to work for free for me!!!! Now stop complaining and start to work!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                  I also ROFLed on "wayland completion". 50 commits per year. Not a surprise nobody wants to support it - it just looks abandoned without any activity. Especially when it is still missing features. What a mess...
                  If wayland is abandoned, what is X then? When was the last release? Is there another release already planned?

Comment

Ahhh yes, the (in)famous usual "do it yourself" slap in the face to shut up critics, OK then...
                    Did you, at least, asked in the Freedesktop mailing list about this? Or you expect them to read your mind and say: "Oh, I'm receiving a mental complain from an user... It says... It says... Oh, it is not very clear... Oh, now! Yes! We haven't implemented XrandR-equivalent functionality in Wayland! That's it!"

Comment

I never understand why people (especially a select group of open source based users nowadays) always need to bash things (in this case wayland or in other cases NVIDIA). What's the big problem? If wayland doesn't work for you stay on X11, as there's still new minor X11 releases every now and then (1.20.10 as of recent) with security fixes, so you're still secure. I'm using X11 myself too as I'm using NVIDIA their proprietary driver and wayland is not the most stable option in that case, but that doesn't mean it won't work for other people. It also doesn't mean that it won't eventually get there (in proper NVIDIA support with different DM's). Just switch when the time is right in this case.

It's the same with systemd, which some seem to hate. I don't see anything wrong with it and I don't see anything wrong with OpenRC or sysvinit either. Just use whatever you feel like using. There's different distributions with different options. That's the power of choice, but using x doesn't mean y is bad, it's just a different approach and some product serves one person better than the other (you can never satisfy everyone). I'm actually using Gentoo with systemd myself and can tell you that it's been really rock solid on a variety of my machines for > 1,5 years now, while most of the users prefer OpenRC.

Comment

Working...
                      X