Wayland 1.19 Is Set To Come Soon As First Update In Nearly One Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland 1.19 Is Set To Come Soon As First Update In Nearly One Year

Phoronix: Wayland 1.19 Is Set To Come Soon As First Update In Nearly One Year

Wayland 1.18 came back in February while until now there wasn't much talk about a "Wayland 1.19" since at this stage the core functionality of Wayland is quite mature and stable. But now work is underway on Wayland 1.19 with aims to likely ship it in January...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's a shame is so unstable on nvidia using the open source driver. Even on the latest kernel. Even KDE is more stable now than a Gnome 3, Wayland desktop. And KDE is still far from stable. 🤷

Comment

Originally posted by Turbine View Post
      It's a shame is so unstable on nvidia using the open source driver. Even on the latest kernel. Even KDE is more stable now than a Gnome 3, Wayland desktop. And KDE is still far from stable. 🤷
      Pretty the opposite in my case (but Vega, no nVidia): had to switch to Gnome because of the unstable Wayland support on Plasma. Glad I did: Gnome is just amazing even if I also love Plasma: another paradigm and I must say it fits pretty well my workflow. Great to have so much options on Linux.

Comment

I use a GNOME 3 desktop with Wayland and it has been solid for me. Where can I find your bug reports regarding Wayland/GNOME3 instability?

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          Wayland is pretty much complete now...
          Ooooh, it is ?!?

So, what is exactly the replacement for XRANDR in Wayland to easily make CUSTOM Resolutions ? No ? Guess i will stick with X for "some" more time then...

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post

Ooooh, it is ?!?

So, what is exactly the replacement for XRANDR in Wayland to easily make CUSTOM Resolutions ? No ? Guess i will stick with X for "some" more time then...
            AFAIK, that isn't part of Wayland itself, because that is something that the applications doesn't need to understand. Each desktop has their own way.

Comment

I also ROFLed on "wayland completion". 50 commits per year. Not a surprise nobody wants to support it - it just looks abandoned without any activity. Especially when it is still missing features. What a mess...

Comment

Originally posted by rastersoft View Post

AFAIK, that isn't part of Wayland itself, because that is something that the applications doesn't need to understand. Each desktop has their own way.
                I'm sorry but THAT is NOT my point of view.

For X we have an UNIVERSAL Tool (i.e. works with all X-compatible DEs) to do Custom Resolutions (XRANDR) witch is the way to be...i don't need and don't want to learn the way *every* single DE have to solve the issue....and that is assuming that each DE REALLY have a solution and/or is not some ARCHAIC solution forcing us to make *.bin files and a GAZILLION of other steps to finally get ONE SINGLE Custom resolution...not to mention when we actually need SEVERAL custom resolutions...

Then, this is not even the only issue with Wayland (although this issue itself is enough to make Wayland useful and adequate to me as an Ice Cube in Hell).
                Last edited by AJSB; 17 December 2020, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Since open source nvidia driver developers have no documentation It's a shame on nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                    I also ROFLed on "wayland completion". 50 commits per year. Not a surprise nobody wants to support it - it just looks abandoned without any activity. Especially when it is still missing features. What a mess...
                    Being stupid doesn't usually hurt and it seems you're happy with this. Wayland is a protocol. it's not a display server like X. X is abandoned while Wayland is introduced in Wayland compositors and has support from the biggest Linux desktops like Gnome and KDE and companies like AMD, Intel. Such low commits number in protocol proves it's nearly complete. You're comparing two different things, but it's idiots domain.

Comment

Working...
                    X