There's Finally An Experimental Driver For Native Wayland Support Within Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trevelyan View Post
    Couldn’t Wine just use SDL2 for video/graphics, audio & input and thus ran natively where SDL2 runs natively?
    wine is not just video/graphics, it's windows

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
      Great work, this can squeeze out a bit more (especially to screen and imput latency) on Games.
      I like how you mention input latency as if that would improve Considering Wayland has the worst input latency I've ever experienced, by -seconds- sometimes if under load... I haven't actually tested, but I'm certain gaming with Wine on Wayland is definitely going to result in a much worse user experience, especially considering input latency...
      Last edited by duby229; 15 December 2020, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Couldn’t Wine just use SDL2 for video/graphics, audio & input and thus ran natively where SDL2 runs natively?
        Wine just maps the drawing calls of Win32 to the calls of X and now Wayland. Very slim layer. SDL2 is a comparably expensive fat layer.

Comment

its called the classic theme for a reason.
          I wish there was a modern theme...

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            Considering Wayland has the worst input latency I've ever experienced, by -seconds- sometimes if under load...
            By using Wayland? I am not sure how you use that protocol, so state that, state what compositor you use.
            I guess you used an outdated Gnome Shell that had issues drawing the mouse pointer fast enough, but that has nothing to do with that. Even though your Shell may be behind in drawing the cursor, clients will already have have got the events in time.

You will not have noticed that under Xorg as there Xorg draws the cursor in its own thread. Just keep your software up to date, this is solved in shell since at least 2 releases.
            Last edited by Alexmitter; 15 December 2020, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
              Waste of time.
              Not really. With Nvidia being a jackass on not giving XWayland drivers this has to happen. This will allow valve gamescope to be used on Nvidia platforms under X11 more. Remember it needs Wayland support at least to work by some means.

Of course as wine works more straight on Wayland the one of the arguments against wayland will disappear.

Lot of ways you can blame this need to-do this now straight on Nvidia.

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
              Is the Windows 98 look a consequence of this native Wayland support ? In that case it must be fixed or users will have nightmares !
              This is not new if you use wine virtual desktop under X11 you will see the same theme. This is just under wayland wine is rendering its own boarders yes there is a option in winecfg when running on X11 todo the same thing. Users have not been seeing this because server side decorations . If little bit of theming gives users nightmares they are really not ready to deal with wine.

SDL2 is only a subset of functionality of DX. To run Dx games you need to emulate the compete lot. Also SDL2 does things in ways that are not compatible.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I wish there was a modern theme...
                Just download a windows theme you like, its not like there aren't any.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
                  SDL2 is only a subset of functionality of DX. To run Dx games you need to emulate the compete lot. Also SDL2 does things in ways that are not compatible.
                  Hey ^^-

That's not how wine is designed. Basically, when a GUI is open through wine, wine uses a "GDI32" driver. On Linux "GDI32" uses winex11.drv that provides, keyboard and mouse input, surface blitting ("See WindowPosChanging and FlushSurface functions"), window position, clipboard and vulkan/opengl bridge.

All of this is indeed portable (in most cases) from libX11, etc to SDL2 that is already integrated to wine for gamepad inputs. There could be one single backend for possibly, android, linux, osx, etc.

Aurryon

Comment

By using Wayland? I am not sure how you use that protocol, so state that, state what compositor you use.
                    I guess you used an outdated Gnome Shell that had issues drawing the mouse pointer fast enough, but that has nothing to do with that. Even though your Shell may be behind in drawing the cursor, clients will already have have got the events in time.

You will not have noticed that under Xorg as there Xorg draws the cursor in its own thread. Just keep your software up to date, this is solved in shell since at least 2 releases.
                    It wasn't solved at all, they implemented a cgroups policy to hide input latency.... It wasn't a solution, it was a hack.... Brute force isn't a solution....

EDIT: It looks like Gnome 40 might actually solve it partially though... (Although it looks like they are breaking both themes and extensions, again....)
                    Last edited by duby229; 15 December 2020, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Not really. With Nvidia being a jackass on not giving XWayland drivers this has to happen. This will allow valve gamescope to be used on Nvidia platforms under X11 more. Remember it needs Wayland support at least to work by some means.

Of course as wine works more straight on Wayland the one of the arguments against wayland will disappear.

Lot of ways you can blame this need to-do this now straight on Nvidia.

This is not new if you use wine virtual desktop under X11 you will see the same theme. This is just under wayland wine is rendering its own boarders yes there is a option in winecfg when running on X11 todo the same thing. Users have not been seeing this because server side decorations . If little bit of theming gives users nightmares they are really not ready to deal with wine.

Do you really need to turn Wine/Wayland into an Nvidia hate post? Seriously?

You do understand even with AMD, Wine has a lot of code built for X11? What juice are you drinking? Leave the hate group. You would be better off without it.

Comment

Working...
                      X