There's Finally An Experimental Driver For Native Wayland Support Within Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    Gnome is getting a lot of memory fixes. Reality even under X11 its leaking massively. Running as a Wayland compositor just made areas that were leaking memory leak faster.
    I have not contradicted myself, but simply not having an Nvidia I don't know the problem, I can't talk about things I don't know! What I can't get you to understand is that I never said Wayland isn't stable, I just wrote that it's not ready for all use cases yet! For example, assuming I would be willing to leave Plasma to use Gnome, I would not be able to do it anyway because I would be very limited in my memory. I'm telling you this because I'm trying it, on Tumbleweed where everything is updated to the latest version. Of course I can't use it with Xorg either! But under Xorg I have a lot of great alternative DE choices, which still don't fully support Wayland. Keep in mind that my pc has 4Gb of ram, but there are also many pc with 2 Gb of ram out there. This has nothing to do with wayland directly, but if Wayland's only option is Gnome, that's a limitation, for now, hopefully more DEs will be ready soon.
    Last edited by Charlie68; 17 December 2020, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
      I have not contradicted myself, but simply not having an Nvidia I don't know the problem, I can't talk about things I don't know! What I can't get you to understand is that I never said Wayland isn't stable, I just wrote that it's not ready for all use cases yet! For example, assuming I would be willing to leave Plasma to use Gnome, I would not be able to do it anyway because I would be very limited in my memory. I'm telling you this because I'm trying it, on Tumbleweed where everything is updated to the latest version. Of course I can't use it with Xorg either! But under Xorg I have a lot of great alternative DE choices, which still don't fully support Wayland. Keep in mind that my pc has 4Gb of ram, but there are also many pc with 2 Gb of ram out there. This has nothing to do with wayland directly, but if Wayland's only option is Gnome, that's a limitation, for now, hopefully more DEs will be ready soon.
      The fixes coming to gnome and kde are reducing the base memory requirements. You cannot use gnome that is right but future versions this is going to change for quite a few users. It all since they have started having sysprof able to run on the shell parts so pointing to where gnome has been leaking massiving in memory usage.

The reality is KDE and Gnome are on path to match in time the memory usage of a lightweight wm and X.org server. Its not like X.org X11 server has been exactly light or leak free.

Basically we have had a stack of broken and things are going to look a lot different once its all finally fixed. It took over a decade to make the code a mess its taking a while to clean it up.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        It was definitely designed initially with the scope being for kiosks or other single purpose interfaces for sure... It may have changed since then but they have been stuck with the scope it was intended initially for ever since then. Meanwhile it's 13 years later and it still has to be extended further...
        It was started as X11 replacement for desktop Linux. X11 replacement obviously needs to cover desktop because how many non desktop OSes backed by X11 do you know? The fact it's working differently and not implementing every X11 feature doesn't mean it's not designed for desktop. Wayland started in 2007, why it should follow 80's design?

Comment

Working...
        X