No announcement yet.

Sony Engineer Talks Up Using Flutter + Wayland For Their Embedded Interfaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony Engineer Talks Up Using Flutter + Wayland For Their Embedded Interfaces

Phoronix: Sony Engineer Talks Up Using Flutter + Wayland For Their Embedded Interfaces

A Sony engineer confirmed at this week's Embedded Linux Conference Europe that the company has begun using the Flutter toolkit atop Wayland as their means of developing user-interfaces on embedded systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice to see someone daring to use something other than Electron these days.

Comment

So I'm reading the slides where I've made it this far and now can't stop laughing:

GTK - Not a modern design just like smartphone apps because it is for desktop apps.
      GTK3 looking too modern is my biggest dislike of it. Lots of y'all feel that way too. I read the comments here. But then I realized what it really is -- licensing. They don't like the GPL. All the stuff from the first slide of "what we used to use" is all BSD and commercially licensed software. Flutter is also BSD'd. I'd rather them not make up reasons like "not modern enough" because it's, like, GTK3 is one of the most modern UI environments.

I'm curious what they're doing on FreeBSD/Playstation since it's not like Flutter/Wayland are things readily available there or if this means they'll shift from a BSD base to a Linux base. My thoughts are -- if the Linux kernel has everything they need they could pull a Goolge/Android situation with their consoles and TVs and use a closed up Sony Linux OS with some links to the GPL stuff they used buried in the docs.

I'm gonna get back to the slides.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        So I'm reading the slides where I've made it this far and now can't stop laughing:

GTK3 looking too modern is my biggest dislike of it.
        By design I believe they mean architecture, not look, which would be the first aspect that would be customised by anyone implementing it.

But certainly the license comes into it here.

Comment

Page 15/16 is interesting. Didn't know SoC vendors are finishing the transition to Wayland.

Comment

This thread is the kind of place that makes me lose hope for the world. So much strong negativity, over the most petty of things.

Comment

Anyone track down the video from slide 26? Couldn't find it at https://elinux.org/ELC_Europe_2020_Presentations

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Sony does plan on contributing more to the Linux build of Google's Flutter library moving forward.
                What about Wayland? Any hope for contributions to mainline?

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
                  Page 15/16 is interesting. Didn't know SoC vendors are finishing the transition to Wayland.
                  Wayland basically lets them shoehorn their Android drivers and only focus on them.

EGL/DRM drivers are much much smaller and easier to mantain than the respective X.org counterparts.

Comment

I'm no expert, but l heard Flutter apps won't pick up system proxy settings. Then again, this would probably be a pro for Sony, who likes to region lock everything...

Comment

Working...
                    X