No announcement yet.

Taiwins 0.2 Released As Modular Wayland Compositor That Supports Lua Scripting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taiwins 0.2 Released As Modular Wayland Compositor That Supports Lua Scripting

Phoronix: Taiwins 0.2 Released As Modular Wayland Compositor That Supports Lua Scripting

Back in May the Taiwins Wayland compositor was announced as a compact compositor based on Libweston while Thursday marked its second release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still waiting for an implementation that doesn't kill all your graphical apps when the compositor crashes, much like on X. Preferably one that I can use as a replacement for KWin because I don't see that happening there anytime soon.

Comment

That sounds a lot like Gnome Shell, but with Lua instead of Javascript :-D

Comment

Originally posted by remenic View Post
        Still waiting for an implementation that doesn't kill all your graphical apps when the compositor crashes, much like on X. Preferably one that I can use as a replacement for KWin because I don't see that happening there anytime soon.
        This. I was so excited for Wayland, just to learn it's no better than X. It's one of the reasons I went back to Windows and refuse to leave no matter how much I dislike it (it was actually the last straw for me). Slapping every one of a user's running applications out of their hands just because the graphics driver crashes (which it will, on any OS, using any graphics driver) is wanton user abuse and outright neglect and an utter display of incompetency. I'm so angry and frustrated that nobody in the Linux ecosystem is intelligent enough to just make things work half as decently as they do in Windows. Things should not be this way.

Originally posted by rastersoft View Post
        That sounds a lot like Gnome Shell, but with Lua instead of Javascript :-D
        I was actually going to say that I wished it was JavaScript instead of Lua. Both are horrible languages, but at least there are dozens of really good languages that compile to JS. Also I'd just assume in general that modern JS implementations like V8 far outperform Lua, but I'm not actually saying that's true or not, I have no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
          This. I was so excited for Wayland, just to learn it's no better than X.
          LOL

It's one of the reasons I went back to Windows and refuse to leave no matter how much I dislike it (it was actually the last straw for me). Slapping every one of a user's running applications out of their hands just because the graphics driver crashes (which it will, on any OS, using any graphics driver
          The OS of your choice answers to a grapics driver crash via a kernel panic. A grapics driver crash that will take the Xorg Xserver with it also cant preserve your state.
          The only thing that Xorg may be able to do is to preserve the state of your windows while your Desktop Shell crashes, something that Wayland desktops also do if they use a Wayland Display server that is not part of the Shell.

is wanton user abuse and outright neglect and an utter display of incompetency. I'm so angry and frustrated that nobody in the Linux ecosystem is intelligent enough to just make things work half as decently as they do in Windows. Things should not be this way.
          LOL
          Happy Bluescreen my dude

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
            LOL

The OS of your choice answers to a grapics driver crash via a kernel panic. A grapics driver crash that will take the Xorg Xserver with it also cant preserve your state.
            The only thing that Xorg may be able to do is to preserve the state of your windows while your Desktop Shell crashes, something that Wayland desktops also do if they use a Wayland Display server that is not part of the Shell.

LOL
            Happy Bluescreen my dude
            Have you not used Windows?
            When the graphics driver crashes, the screen flickers for a second, that's it. The graphics driver runs in usermode and Explorer restores all the windows as they were.

Actually, graphics drivers run in usermode in Linux as well, which I give it kudos for. I didn't get any kernel panics when my graphics driver crashed. I just got Xorg and all the god-forsaken programs running on top of it killed.

Comment

Yes because in X when the display server crashes it doesn't take down everything either.

Comment

Still waiting for an implementation that doesn't kill all your graphical apps when the compositor crashes.
                That is out of scope for the Wayland project. Just like anything else useful XD

You might be able to find some random niche or unmaintained compositor that does that though. Or you can do what everyone else does and just make do with what Gnome 3 or Sway gives you.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

That is out of scope for the Wayland project. Just like anything else useful XD

You might be able to find some random niche or unmaintained compositor that does that though. Or you can do what everyone else does and just make do with what Gnome 3 or Sway gives you.
                  On Xorg, I know I can kill mutter/kwin/i3wm or anything other than the X process and nothing bad will happen. I restart whatever crashed and continue with what I was doing. Will GNOME or Sway on Wayland give me that same level of robustness?

I don't like that statement about doing what everybody else does. I use Linux on my desktop ffs. If doing what everyone else is doing was my thing, I don't think I would have used Linux for 20 years. What I don't like is regressions, and Wayland in so many ways feels like a regression, mostly because of the take-everything-with-me-when-I-crash behavior of all the implementations I've tried so far. Maybe GNOME's is better these days, if so that's a great relief and makes me hopeful that others will follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Yes because in X when the display server crashes it doesn't take down everything either.
                    Same with the kernel. There's always a weak link, but I haven't seen X (or the kernel) crash in years. Window Managers on the other hand are not built quite as solid in my experience, so they need to built in such a way that it doesn't bring anything down with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X