Gamescope Continues Advancing As Wayland/Vulkan Compositor Backed By Valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

I'm under the impression that games using SDL2 can support Wayland? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
    I believe you are correct, SDL2 gives it for free. Not sure if all builds of SDL2 work or if there is a minimum version though.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

I believe you are correct, SDL2 gives it for free. Not sure if all builds of SDL2 work or if there is a minimum version though.
      You just need SDL2, and you can enable it by setting SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland. Some games only shipped SDL 1.2, and others may directly use X in which case that won't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
        Hmmm. I currently use Weston inside Xorg to force games (including Steam's Big Picture Mode) onto my secondary monitor (actually my TV). I used to use xrandr to temporarily switch the primary display but it felt really clunky and using Weston like this actually works as a very effective multi-seat solution! I tried other things like Xephyr but this was the only solution that worked with 3D acceleration. I haven't noticed any drop in performance. The only issue is that Big Picture Mode doesn't go fullscreen properly even though everything else does. I wonder whether Gamescope would be a better fit.
        There is a way to use DRM_LEASEs, developed for VR for Valve, for multiseat on X11.
        Needs patched xorg, patch to glamor_egl to use rendernodes, and does not support VRR as modesseting driver is used.
        But it has full 3D acceleration and you can run one seat per GPU output.
        It could probably be used with Wayland if the compositor supports running on DRM_LEASE.

Comment

Originally posted by pixo View Post

There is a way to use DRM_LEASEs, developed for VR for Valve, for multiseat on X11.
          Needs patched xorg, patch to glamor_egl to use rendernodes, and does not support VRR as modesseting driver is used.
          But it has full 3D acceleration and you can run one seat per GPU output.
          It could probably be used with Wayland if the compositor supports running on DRM_LEASE.
          I only have one GPU. I'm very happy with my simpler approach, to be honest!

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
            Quick Question: Anyone gets it working in flatpaked Steam?
            This isn't part of the Steam package, so I'm not exactly sure about what it is you're asking here.
            It's essentially a Wayland compositor you can install and use in place of your current Wayland compositor (or X11 wm) for your graphics session.
            Flatpak Steam works fine under every single compositor I've tested (including Sway, which is also utilizing wlroots), so in theory it should be just as functional under Gamescope, unless there's some really weird bug specific to its implementation.

Comment

Which desktop environment could take benefits from Gamescope? Any news about which desktop platform are going to test this new Wayland compositor powered by Vulkan?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                Which desktop environment could take benefits from Gamescope? Any news about which desktop platform are going to test this new Wayland compositor powered by Vulkan?
                SteamOS session compositing window manager. Contribute to ValveSoftware/gamescope development by creating an account on GitHub.

The gamescope is a micro-compositor, Interest point is Gamescope is designed not to really care what the desktop platform is. Wayland compositors can be built to be stacked on top of X11 or wayland. Yes gamescope is designed to be stacked on top of what ever your wayland compositor or X11 choice is.

Biggest issue gamescope to pull of some of it tricks it needs working Xwayland of course currently that means anyone with Nvidia graphics is currently screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

SteamOS session compositing window manager. Contribute to ValveSoftware/gamescope development by creating an account on GitHub.

The gamescope is a micro-compositor, Interest point is Gamescope is designed not to really care what the desktop platform is. Wayland compositors can be built to be stacked on top of X11 or wayland. Yes gamescope is designed to be stacked on top of what ever your wayland compositor or X11 choice is.

Biggest issue gamescope to pull of some of it tricks it needs working Xwayland of course currently that means anyone with Nvidia graphics is currently screwed.
                  many thanks.
                  I know about the limitation of NVIDIA dealing with EGLstream instead of GBM though I ignored that a further limitation deals with XWayland. Which is the cause of this issue?

Comment

He is using XFCE, nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                      many thanks.
                      I know about the limitation of NVIDIA dealing with EGLstream instead of GBM though I ignored that a further limitation deals with XWayland. Which is the cause of this issue?
                      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The amount of broken is on the scale of insane with Nvidia and XWayland. XWayland need a new driver for XWayland that provides the X11 bits for Nvidia cards when using closed source driver made by someone. Yes the current redhat attempt is still that far broken that gamescope cannot work. Like missing feature means to resize X11 window yes gamescope uses that.

Comment

Working...
                      X