Fedora 34 KDE Spin Planning Switch To Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

GDM will actually launch Plasma Wayland and work fine with it. I ditched SDDM long ago, they clearly don't care about Wayland support, or heck SDDM itself.
    Yeah that's how I eventually figured out it was SDDM that I was having issues with when I couldn't launch Plasma Wayland sessions, it's a shame that it's such a huge dependency for a Qt5 system

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Joshua Rollin

Admittedly the last time I used Plasma on Wayland (AAAGES before now) it was buggy as all heck, but not anymore. I'd venture to say it's more stable than GNOME on Wayland was, when Fedora first switched to GNOME on Wayland.
      It really isn't, I tried launching wine games on both, it only worked on GNOME. I couldn't get PRIME Vulkan working on either - didn't test OpenGL

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

It really isn't, I tried launching wine games on both, it only worked on GNOME. I couldn't get PRIME Vulkan working on either - didn't test OpenGL
        I'm able to run Warhammer 2 on AMD dGPU while the display and desktop are running off the Intel iGPU. Didn't have to do anything special either.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

Yeah that's how I eventually figured out it was SDDM that I was having issues with when I couldn't launch Plasma Wayland sessions, it's a shame that it's such a huge dependency for a Qt5 system
          I think you've misunderstood the question. He was comparing Gnome on Wayland at the time Fedora first introduced it to Kde on Wayland now

Comment

I see no performance impact under XWayland in games (at least in GNOME). But Plasma was definitely not ready for Wayland last time I tried it.

Wayland is the inevitable outcome of working around X11's limitations. It will eventually "win" because the other side "lost" a long time ago anyway.

Comment

I highly doubt they will make it happen in time for Fedora 34, given the current Plasma state on Wayland I expect something more like Fedora 36.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
              X