No announcement yet.

Fedora 34 KDE Spin Planning Switch To Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If big RH would help KDE team in implementing and testing Wayland support then for sure it could work better, maybe like in GNOME. The fact is RH helps only GNOME, so we have result. KDE is lagging behind GNOME in Wayland support.

Comment

Bottom line: this is good news. By forcing adoption of Wayland, Fedora is accelerating the push to feature parity for this modern display server (what Canonical didn't have the cojones to do after Ubuntu 17).

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post

6- if you are a gamer, forget wayland and xwayland.
        I will have to disagree. As a avid gamer, my gaming experience hasn't been hindered by wayland or xwayland. I play games like Total War Warhammer 2, Day of Infamy, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Zero-K, Smokin' Guns (wine), Age of Empires 3 (Proton), Hitman 2 (Proton), and the list goes on. The most noticeable improvement for me going from X11 to Wayland was with Day of Infamy and Hitman 2. Getting fluid framerates and removing micro-tearing was sometimes hit and miss on X11 (especially, back in my day when I was running a Nvidia GPU). With Mesa and Wayland, this is not the case across the machines I admin and play on. So while my N < 30, I have a fair enough sample size to make an informed decision. Though WINE on wayland could really use some attention, no disagreement from me on that one.

Edit: For clarification, I ran Mesa + X11 for 1.5 years on my main gaming rig. Tearing was less than with Nvidia's blob, but still not perfect especially on monitors above 75hz.
        Last edited by Numeric; 09 September 2020, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HighValueWarrior View Post
          Dare we hope ??
          What about for nvidia users ?
          They can't even support Intel users, let alone nVidia users. I'm still waiting for the day that Wayland doesn't crash on my Intel-only system.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverFox

Firstly, I wasn't comparing Canonical to Microsoft, That is purely your assumption. Secondly, I'm well aware there are other compnent's that make up a desktop, But thanks for the school lesson. To say the big companies don't care about the desktop is pure bollocks. Paid engineers are actively putting in patches, Making improvements to the desktop side on Linux. Chromium, Visual studio, Firefox, Thunderbird, System d, Mesa, Wayland - etc, etc have had code submitted by those company's that don't care about the desktop. If it's new features your talking about, That's down to the group heading a project and whether or not, Improvement's get implemented.
            I didn't want to give lessons, I wouldn't be able to, I just reported a fact.
            I did not write that companies do not make any contribution to the desktop in Gnu / linux, I just pointed out that their priorities are other, as it should be, most of the projects are managed by communities, not by companies and I I'm referring to GNU projects not the kernel.

Comment

Just tried KDE Plasma + Wayland for the first time in a few months... I'm running Kubuntu 20.04 and the KDE Plasma version looks to be 5.18.4... So far, pretty stable. Seems virtualbox was fixed (there was an issue with Wayland where it would run as a Wayland clients but make calls to X, causing it to crash immediate IIRC).

Seems like it is indeed time for Fedora to switch KDE to use Wayland as default from my limited experience. Especially once KDE Plasma 5.20 comes out with all of its Wayland fixes.

Comment

Tried Wayland too (on pop_OS) 2 of my games launched find but my fav media player (smplayer) is now launching the video in 2 windows.. seems like wayland support was requested a long time ago and has not been added

Comment

My guess is they will take a run at it in 34 back out and do it in 35.

Comment

Just putting this out here:

When using Nouveau, Plasma Wayland will lock up immediately unless QSG_RENDER_LOOP=basic is added to the environment variables to disable threaded GL rendering. Everyone knows this.

However, if I use LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT, Plasma Wayland is a lot more stable and QSG_RENDER_LOOP is not needed. The system still crashes every few hours, but since I start Plasma from a TTY i get returned to the TTY, where I can start Plasma Wayland again.

My question here: what exactly goes on when LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT is passed before starting Plasma Wayland? Does it offload all the interpretation to Xwayland, or is there something else going on that I'm not aware of?

Comment

Originally posted by hiryu View Post
                      Seems like it is indeed time for Fedora to switch KDE to use Wayland as default from my limited experience. Especially once KDE Plasma 5.20 comes out with all of its Wayland fixes.
                      Been using Wayland for much of the day now... Pretty solid... Except the atom editor tends to lock up on me when I minimize it. I can bring the window backup, but I can't do anything. Hopefully this will be fixed with 5.20... Or in atom. Wherever the issue is.

Comment

Working...
                      X