No announcement yet.

Fedora 34 KDE Spin Planning Switch To Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I do use Plasma Wayland on all my systems I welcome this change. It will help to get the remaining issues addressed! But overall I'm quite happy how well Plasma Wayland works now in its latest release.

Comment

As if Linux hasn't already been broken already beyond repair, let's shove Wayland down our throats so much as to break it even further. Nice.

I mean 1% desktop share looks like an overachievement for some people. They intend to cut this in half.

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
      As I do use Plasma Wayland on all my systems I welcome this change. It will help to get the remaining issues addressed! But overall I'm quite happy how well Plasma Wayland works now in its latest release.
      Good for you. Not so good for everyone who needs to have their work done and not play with half-assed software.

Comment

General stability of the Plasma Wayland session is questionable, unless there is a lot of change with 5.20 and qt5.15.

Two biggest edge cases for me are unresolved - Wacom tablet support and VR HMD (specifically HTC Vive) is detected as a monitor

Comment

Originally posted by Grim85 View Post
          General stability of the Plasma Wayland session is questionable, unless there is a lot of change with 5.20 and qt5.15.

Two biggest edge cases for me are unresolved - Wacom tablet support and VR HMD (specifically HTC Vive) is detected as a monitor
          Actually, yes, there is. A ton of Wayland-specific improvements land in both Qt 5.15 and Plasma 5.20.

I don't know about your specific edge cases, though. Are there bug reports for them?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Joshua Rollin

Really? I've been using Plasma on Wayland for the last three days on both Manjaro and KDE Neon, and both work perfectly. You still have to force Firefox to use Wayland (put MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 before the path to firefox, on the command line or in the relevant box in the menus), and Vivaldi and LibreOffice don't seem to support it at all - but they still work fine under XWayland; and it's their responsibility to get their programs working on Wayland, not KDE's.

Now admittedly it might not work on OpenSUSE Leap, Kubuntu 20.04 or the upcoming 20.10, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen before 22.04.
            With each new release of Plasma I fire up the wayland session, for ages that didn't work at all due to a bug in SDDM if you rely on the previous session option rather than manually entering

I'll rolling with Gentoo here, so don't need to worry about distro time scales

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

SDDM has seen barely any changes in years now, it has 355 outstanding issues - I think it's safe to say it's just about dead as a project
              Honestly I've never had big problems with SDDM, I had more on Ubuntu with Lightdm, but my question was another.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                As if Linux hasn't already been broken already beyond repair, let's shove Wayland down our throats so much as to break it even further. Nice.

I mean 1% desktop share looks like an overachievement for some people. They intend to cut this in half.

Good for you. Not so good for everyone who needs to have their work done and not play with half-assed software.
                The Xorg session will stay there, so I don't understand what the problem is. Gnu / linux development like it or not but that's how you get it! If you choose a state-of-the-art distribution, you know very well that you should cooperate in reporting bugs, if you are looking for stability, don't choose state-of-the-art, but more conservative distributions.
                If conservative distributions exist with a good degree of stability, it is because there are many users who use the cutting-edge versions. Linux isn't Windows, it doesn't have thousands of dollars to spend on hardware and developers, but it's the simple users who help.

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
                  I am really just waiting for pipewire to support all my use cases right now. I do FAR too much screen-casting at the moment.
                  Pipewire did however make a lot of noise about being mostly done recently, so I hope I won't have to wait too long.

I do however just love the dynamic DPI stuff for wayland aware apps. And it's a bummer that Java apps don't support that well yet.
                  That was your 0x200th post. Just noting.

Besides that, I agree but i wouldn't hold my breath on Java supporting well anything destktop. Java on the desktop died a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by King InuYasha View Post

I don't know about your specific edge cases, though. Are there bug reports for them?
                    Lack of wacom is one of the wayland conceits on the wayland session wiki page.

The only wayland compositor (or similar) that I know that supports VR is wlroots. I dont think Gnome has even bothered to tackle the HMD edge case yet

Comment

I'm keen to try gaming on Wayland people say it manages vsync off and tearfree/VRR better than X11.. There are also some bugs or unreleased features though which seem to frustrate some. And theres the slight performance loss which seems to be the most important thing

Comment

Working...
                      X